Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Incubating for the first time!  (Read 2265 times)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Incubating for the first time!
« on: April 20, 2010, 07:00:52 pm »
Well after collecting a clutch of 16 eggs, my Buff Orpington Girls aren't broody, so I'm using an incubator.

I  have cleaned the incubator thoroughly with the appropriate disinfectant - it wasn't a very expensive one - it's a glass cube (so my kids can watch the hatching clearly) with an automatic turner.

I have a question about humidity though. Am I right in thinking this should be around 35% at first, creeping up towards the end? I filled the water tray yesterday and switched it on, got the right temperature and the humidity reader went off the scale! I've done it again this morning with less water and it's not quite humid enough, so I put a little more in and it's just about right.

Looks like I'm going to have to keep a close eye on this! Incubator instructions (very poorly translated!) said to fill the water tray but this really was too much!

Very excited though!  ;D

bamford6

Re: Incubating for the first time!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 09:51:12 pm »
37 to 45 all through then last 3 days 65 .get a kids drink bottle put a plastic tube on the end and ad a bit day to day .iff you look at the humidity where you live it can go from 90 percent to 20 percent  in 24 hours some days less some days nothink .iff you have to much Yul do the lot in to less you're ok  to much thats it all over .

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Incubating for the first time!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:25:19 pm »
Thanks Gary - this is going to need some careful monitoring as it was 45% with no water in at all!

Off to check again now - thanks for your help!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS