Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hobble/ feed  (Read 2832 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
hobble/ feed
« on: April 20, 2010, 06:33:14 pm »
two questions here,

1- do people use a hobble when milking their goats, i think its a little rope that tied behind the rear legs
when goats are been milked to stop them kicking over the bucket or bowl.

2- do people prefer to feed before milking or after milking?
and what are the reasons.

thanks langdon  ;D  :goat:
Langdon ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: hobble/ feed
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 08:19:05 pm »
Hi Langdon

as you know I'm a novice goat milker!! but I've not used a hobble (although it sounds a useful idea and I'll be interested to hear what the others say)  our nanny hasn't kicked a bowl over completely but today did jog it a bit when she was startled by a noise

I've been feeding her a half of her daily ration to keep her busy while I fumble about and try to get the hang of milking!

LIsa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:27:27 pm »
we keep margo busy with food, otherwise she will not stand still at all !
we dont use a stand, she has to have her special yellow bucket, and likes it a little off the ground
She has a variety of food, and if she starts fidgeting, will often go back in the bucket if I add raisens or cornflakes to her goat food & maize.

the little goat stands stock still when she is stroked (if she's in the mood!) so hopefully when her time comes this will help!

whatever you decide Langdon, get yours used to it early on, before the milk comes, they seem to like routine....
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 11:24:39 pm »
If your goat is fed before milking, its likely she will chew her cud, and stand to be milked, although some will not let you milk if they have no food.

I presume you are not an expert milker yet?  I would therefore recommend quite a bit of food for the goat while you are milking - otherwise they will get very bored and mess around, while you are attempting to get milk from her.

I have never used a hobble.

I would cross the milking bridge when you get there - way to go yet, it will be next Spring before you will be doing any milking, surely?

But I know you want everything to be right, so good for you with your forward planning!!

I

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 07:38:19 am »
have you got a maiden milker Langdon? I might have dreamt that one but am sure I read on one of your posts that you have one in milk without kidding?
the people we bought ours off said something about the younger female perhaps being one but I don't think she is!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 10:36:51 pm »
I would only use a hobble as an absolute last resort. Only used one once, for one of last year's first kidder, who didn't just hate being milked, she hated having an udder too, and would just kick at it too!

I know my best friend has only used a hobble once as well, and when the goat has quietened down- after a few weeks, we were both able to stop using it. Have to say, in the two instances I know of, it has been a British Toggenburg type both times!

We don't feed anything while they are being milked, I like them to chew the cud if possible. All our goats get both breakfast, and their dinner, after the milkers have been milked.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS