Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "morning after pill" for sheep?  (Read 11115 times)

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: "morning after pill" for sheep?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 08:43:45 pm »
My 2 heb Rams had to be moved yesterday for trying to fence jump! Randy buggers ... I've now moved them down wind and 2 fields away from my girls
Red

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 11:31:16 am »
Mine is still at it. He is jumping fences he should not be able to jump, they are higher than average. Really starting to loose it with him, if he wasn't so nice in the flesh then he wouldn't still be here. >:( >:( >:( He is very lucky.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 07:39:44 pm »
Mine is still at it. He is jumping fences he should not be able to jump, they are higher than average. Really starting to loose it with him, if he wasn't so nice in the flesh then he wouldn't still be here. >:( >:( >:( He is very lucky.

IMO - no ram is that nice that he would get away with this kind of behaviour.... but at the moment his meat will not be great either.... so no easy solution I guess.

Fortunately my tup lamb (Shetland) has stayed in the further away field, as he is really not big enough to go right now. He still stands at the gate though and glares at me... ::)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 08:56:16 pm »

IMO - no ram is that nice that he would get away with this kind of behaviour.... but at the moment his meat will not be great either.... so no easy solution I guess.

Fortunately my tup lamb (Shetland) has stayed in the further away field, as he is really not big enough to go right now. He still stands at the gate though and glares at me... ::)

You can't blame him for being keen  :o

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 08:57:06 pm »

What's average for a heb tup?  I've seen our old tup jump over heras fencing from a standstill, ok the last 18 inches was a scrabble but the bugger got over! 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 08:58:58 pm by verdifish »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 09:20:21 am »
When we take our BF tup out he has to be put in a block and tin shed, with sheep hurdles tied vertically across the stock gate at the front.  That makes it at least 6ft high on every side - the only thing that'll hold him. 

Time of year ewes cycle may depend on whre you are in the country.  They begin as the days shorten, which means lambing will coincide with grass growth in Spring (well, apart from the Poll Dorset, which seems to have a calendar all of its own).  I have a ram lamb out on loan at present, but certainly wouldn't be wanting to lamb in early Summer myself - too many flies, for a start.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 11:00:34 pm »
I do have a stables to put him, Well I did have. Another member of my family thought geese would be a good idea (mistake 1). The geese now have that place every night so that is of limits. I'm sure the tup must have damaged himself in the brain as he is now jumping into his own field with the other tups. Mistake number 2 is getting a Hebridean tup, I do love the breed but they do test my patience some times.

The thread has made me smile... which I know probably doesn't help but thank you for cheering up my dark days!

The tup has almost made me laugh at his sheer determination to irritate and confuse me. I'm not sure how this is going to play out but I will not be lambing 7 hebridean ewe lambs this year while also sitting my exams in school! For his own sake I hope he hasn't covered all of them, will be getting them scanned.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 03:07:48 pm by ThomasR »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS