Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed - RAY  (Read 6170 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Advice needed - RAY
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 12:08:18 pm »
Hi Shep,

I didn't imply you were uninformed.  I did read your comments to me as slightly patronising and aggressive though and I am in danger of reacting badly because of that.

I am a competent pet owner with some additional skills through reading and training and I have access to two volunteer trained behaviourists (and I don't mean trained by the Cornflakes box school of qualifications)  but, frankly,  I only bother them for serious issues..

I agree there is a HUGE problem with east European rescue.  A lot of people are making a fortune out of pretty pictures on facebook which isn't helping the dogs, frankly this is turning into a business for a lot of people.

Ray comes from Bulgaria and from Rough Diamond Dog Rescue, which is an English lady (Ingrid Hughes) who retired to Bulgaria because of cost.  She doesn't live in a city and the dogs that she helps are either those in or around her village or in the nearby town Stara Zagora.  Being remote, there are no animal services at all.

My own Blindie Luca, came from Ingrid (which is how I got to know her because he was sponsored by BDRUK) and my other rainbow bridge foster dog came from here.  Ray was in the Yambol shelter having been abandoned and not coping well because of his blindness. 

I have visited Ingrid and, indeed, she is visiting me for Christmas.  She is, I assure you, not making a living out of animal rescue like some.

I have great difficulties with bringing in foreign dogs, and I fully understand the "we have enough of our own".... the way I justify helping the specific dogs I do, is that I hate to think of any whole group of animals being without hope.  The blindies (although they really do have an equal quality of life) are such a group.  It's a balance, I will help these dogs whilst fully understanding the valid contrary view.

Ray is in fact a lovely happy chappy

:bouquet: :bouquet:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 09:41:34 pm »
As you know I am a wysiwyg - blunt even.

In my opinion, there are far too many healthy dogs both in the UK and elsewhere to do much about any with problems.  I admire you for what you do in personally looking after blind dogs,  but please think vary hard about passing these problems on when the better outcome for the dog may be euthanasia
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 11:09:35 pm »
Hi,

I agree with the "better outcome".  Denzel, with hindsight was an error and he should have been euthanized and not subject to travel, or at least left in his outside shelter at Ingrid's house.  That experience taught me you have to be very careful about testing what you are told about the dog.  Ingrid admits he was a mistake and we are both sad.

Luca my blindie undoubtedly has a good quality and I suspect he went blind gradually.  Nym, my friends blindie is very quiet but in my view has less quality.  She had her eyes gouged out and that has left trauma but she does have an adequate quality of life.

Ray is such a happy dog it is unbelievable, I don't have any doubts about his quality.

I really do understand, and to an extent, agree with the contrary view.  One point in favour of blindies is that there are some people they are well suited to, I have housed quite a lot with very elderly people.  They don't pull on leads, they often don't require a lot of walking

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS