Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland Pony Insurance  (Read 9407 times)

MischieMoo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Moray
Shetland Pony Insurance
« on: December 08, 2015, 07:34:49 pm »
We've just acquired 2 miniature Shetlands and wonder if anybody has any idea of a good insurance company. Obviously, they are just at grass but most of the quotes I have include Class 1 use which we don't need.  Only really looking to cover vets fees.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Shetland Pony Insurance
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 08:32:00 pm »
I don't insure mine anymore other than third party liability with Worldwide Horse Welfare at £52 a year.

I used to insure Smokey with Petplan Equine but the first (and only) time I tried to claim, they rejected it.

You may want to consider self insurance, if you are disciplined enough to put the money away every month and not touch it except for vet bills. At least you always have the money.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 09:41:38 pm »
If you decide to insure, AmTrust Equine might be worth a look-they do a pony policy for vets fees and also an accidental cover only policy. The pony policy is limited (to £2.5K from memory) plus diagnostics are limited as well.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 01:34:35 pm »
never tell your vet you have insurance.. they will reel out the longest list of test they suddenly need to do.
Statements like this make me die inside a little as a vet.
Any good vet will only do diagnostic tests that are necessary to find out what is wrong with your animals. If they are good, they will explain the need for every test and why they are doing it. Then they should explain all the options for treatment and what is in the best interests of you and the animal.
The reason I would rather know you have insurance is not to spend all your money, but to be able to offer the tests and treatments when they are necessary. For example in a potentially surgical colic, the best chance of survival is to send to referral vets for surgery asap. If I know you're insured I will offer this as soon as it becomes clear that it may be needed. If you tell me you're not insured and have a limited budget, we may try to treat medically and end up putting a horse down because colic surgery plus transport costs £1000s.
Insurance gives us options as vets, but still the usual steps of diagnosis will be followed, eg. listening to heart rate, gut sounds, taking temperature, all of which can give indications as to whether colic surgery may be needed.
Any animal insurance is not a reason to advise expensive tests or treatments. Any test or treatment I offer will be the same whether you tell me you're insured or not, I may just have to tell you you will have a large bill if tests and treatments are needed and you're not insured.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 01:54:22 pm »
never tell your vet you have insurance.. they will reel out the longest list of test they suddenly need to do.

I bet your vet loves you!  Not.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 01:56:40 pm »
We've just acquired 2 miniature Shetlands and wonder if anybody has any idea of a good insurance company. Obviously, they are just at grass but most of the quotes I have include Class 1 use which we don't need.  Only really looking to cover vets fees.

:excited: Congrats on the small hairy people  :horse: :horse:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

muddypuddle

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 02:51:16 pm »
I know that if you have BHS gold you can get third party cover included with the membership which I believe is around £60 a year. The only insurance company I have been told to steer clear of is E&L, I have generally only heard that they do not pay out and if they do you have a battle on your hands.
If you can put money aside it may be an option (I did try this except for my mares accident cost a lot more!  :-[ and the vets were very good, understanding and helpful, they didn't take advantage, quite the opposite when they knew I wasn't insured ).
I have found Petplan reasonable. I would also look at the small print and make sure colic surgery is included in plans as some have it as an extra!

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 06:34:58 pm »
CASE 20  yr old mare with two previous fractures, retired since age 10 as happy in the field.
will not enter a stable. hesitates to enter barn.

vet insisited on blood tests and two sets of x-rays before allowing this old, now very lame, sweetest mare you ever met... before he would put her down, by injection. I stayed with her throughout.

CASE 23 yr old retired show pony, owner though to put to sleep as she coliced very badly , I was there for hrs.. vet said do you have insurance.. she reluctantly said yes and suddenly we were loading and off for operations. she was very difficult to feed and look after for the rest of her life... er.. two years... what was that for??

I have now left the industry as I have seen it time and time again, vets pressuring owners to have unnecessary treatment.

also.././.  CASE I now use a vet who is a horse owner  herself and does not beat about the bush, says it straight.

DO NOT BULLY ME , I AM ENTITLED TO MY OPINION.  as are you.

Do not use the B word on me, and especially not in capitals.
I see this as the worst insult in the world having been bullied all the way through school.
I absolutely agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion, and there are bad vets out there.
I wanted to put across (calmly and without shouting and abuse) the other side.
I also wanted to explain to people that they are never obliged to do what the vet offers or suggests as options available. Although insurance means there are more options available (eg. colic surgery) it does not always mean this is the best option for the animal in question, and you should discuss your situation with your vet at the time.
I wanted to let people know that you are entitled to ask the vet why they think the tests/treatments are the best option for your animal, and if you don't agree with that, you are always entitled to seek a second opinion.
Even within the same practice, vets will have different personal views on when tests/treatments/euthanasia is the best option.
I will not comment on the two cases quoted as I do not have all the facts, but if you disagreed that blood tests, xrays or colic surgeries were not what you wanted, as a horse owner myself, I would have declined these options.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 07:02:02 pm »
I have never been asked by a vet if I have insurance or pressured into having any treatment I wasn't happy with or couldn't afford.

There are good and bad people in all professions and I think it is unfair to tar everyone with the same brush, even if we have had a bad experience.

There are also animal owners who insist on doing everything they possibly can and extending the misery of their animals for their own benefit.

With any insurance you need to look around. You may also be able to add the ponies to a smallholding policy you already have.

MischieMoo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Moray
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 10:09:30 pm »
Many thanks for your help folks.  Will have a look around and see what I can find.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 07:32:28 pm »
I have BHS gold membership and a savings account just for the ponies. In the past when I did compete my horse I had insurance which I never needed to claim on but friends did. One ended up with her horse only insured for 3 legs after a claim and the cost when through the roof. You need a good relationship with your vet. One you can talk to who will listen.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 12:36:04 am »

I bet your vet loves you!  Not.
  I have actually found being honest about your financial situation with the vet helpful and they do not feel insulted. I have no insurance for vets fees, so I discuss what is the probable diagnosis with them, what tests they would like to do to confirm it and how it would effect treatment. Sometimes we decide together that the tests are not essential, or the prognosis is so poor that euthanasia is a better option for the animal. Last year I had a pony treated for a sarcoid and I was given a couple of treatment options and their costs. I always have the vet as soon as suspect there may be something wrong, the call out fee is often worth the reassurance even if no treatment is needed.
    I spend far more on routine veterinary care than things that would be covered by insurance. When insured a young horse I had  I did actually claim but by the time I had paid the excess they only paid out £90 which wasn't worth the aggravation. My insurance is a 0%rate credit card.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS