Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wet muddy fields  (Read 2341 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
wet muddy fields
« on: December 10, 2015, 04:24:47 pm »
I know we are not underwater like the poor people in Cumbria but our fields being clay are absolutely muddy and puddly.  My 9 ryelands alternate between having sore feet where the clay builds up and gets between their toes.  Do you think it is going to cause them to lose loads of weight etc etc.   They are in lamb for end of March so bit too soon to get them in.  We only have 2 fairly large fields which we alternate between but already used the one remaining field up and the first has had no time to recover with all the rain we have had.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: wet muddy fields
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 04:28:46 pm »
Are they looking dejected and miserable? If they're not wanting to walk around the fields much or eat much then I would bring them in as they would at least keep their weight indoors. No point in leaving them in the wet, if they're not doing much. The thing is have you enough space to keep them indoors until the wet weather goes away?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 04:55:57 pm »
Divide your fields up with electric fence?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 04:56:39 pm »
When it was horrendhously wet for months a couple of Winters ago we got our March-lambing flock in soon after Christmas (had to buy in some extra hay) and put them out again just long enough to muck out and bed down the shed again ready for lambing.  The ewe' stayed in good health and we didn't lose a lamb, although it was hard work for us.  Mud can cause shelly hoof, which can limit grazing time, so you might want to start giving them hard feed a bit earlier if you decide to leave them out.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 07:13:14 pm »
I have clay soil and like you it doesn't take much rain to make a mess. We have put mats down in gateways which has helped a lot, mine are lucky to have an area indoors to lay up in, so, they wonder round the fields and then come in. If they can not access  a dry area I'd get them in.  Good luck with them and your lambing  :hugsheep: :hugsheep: :merryxmas:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS