Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: SCOTEID vs paper movement forms  (Read 3992 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
SCOTEID vs paper movement forms
« on: December 06, 2015, 08:24:27 pm »
Folks,

I'm sorry to ask such a basic question, but can somebody please explain to me how the electronic SCOTEID database ties in with the paper movement forms?

Previously when I've bought sheep and have sent off the paper movement forms, they haven't automatically appeared on our SCOTEID record, so I've added them myself later. At the time, I was told that this was because they were not moved through a "Critical Control Point" such as a mart or abbatoir.

However, the lambs we sent for slaughter a month ago didn't turn up in the database either, and when I put them in, the system interpreted the Abbatoir CPH number as a standard move off/on, and not as a move to slaughter.

Can somebody explain in simple terms please when you need to use paper forms, electronic entry, or both together?  It's got me really confused!! Thanks!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: SCOTEID vs paper movement forms
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 09:04:58 pm »
The paper movement document   to SAMU  is  compulsory ,  SCOTEID is voluntary , the two have no connection .  For me and others selling large numbers through an auction /abbatoir  ( CCP )   we could not write down hundreds of individual numbers and  have no EID reader , so use scoteid as  basic number storage .    The downside is that if mistakes are made it is up to you to try and sort them or if an inspection its your fault

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 11:58:57 pm »
Thanks Shep.

I've always kept the paper forms up to date as required. My confusion was that the two systems seemed totally unconnected which made me wonder what the point of the electronic system was.

Your message above confirms that they are indeed unconnected...... so what exactly IS the point of the electronic system then? ???

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 08:05:48 am »
Theres a button you click on the scoteid that will display the paper moves and yes as others have said you must do the paper move the scoteid is voluntary it is still a trial, but instead of writing all the tag numbers down on the paper move you can tick the box on paper move and  upload tag no.s to scoteid, also it is useful to check if mart numbers are correct  you now get the numbers from the abattoir now. You can use it as your holding register if you wish we use the book as simpler.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 08:31:52 am »
ScotEID (for sheep) is a complete shambles.  I never have a fail on tags readings at home, but send sheep to the mart and it will say something like 34%, or even in one case, 0% read.  It claims I sent 300 lambs to a mart I've never been anywhere near.  It has recorded me as selling 60 ewe hoggs which were in fact my dad's, but because I was offloading them, someone at the mart assumed they were mine and recorded them as such instead of actually reading the paper movement licence I had just handed him. It drives me up the wall.  I was very unhappy about having incorrect information recorded on a government system, and rang to see if I could get it corrected, but was told as it was voluntary it didn't matter.  I still really struggle to cope with this as I like things right, and am terrified that on an inspection at some point, someone will say 'but ScotEID says...' in the same way as I know trading standards take the slips from the fallen stock company as the 'true' evidence even though one of the drivers we ocassionally get (the usual one is great) just ticks anything he feels like on the sheet.  It works brilliantly for pigs, though.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 09:31:57 am »
I looked at the EID system once but it was rubbish data for us so I decided not to bother. The pig one seems to work fine and CTS On-line is fine too, but I guess the numbers being moved are on a different scale to sheep movements.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 10:38:07 am »
So having started with SCOTEID, am I ok now to just ignore it and stick with the paper movement forms and a paper flockbook?  For our current situation, it's yet another task I have to do, that adds little or no value.

Theres a button you click on the scoteid that will display the paper moves

The plot thickens!  For all of our movements to date, there's a duplicate paper move ("SAMS") listed in the system next to the electronic one. However, for the move to the abbatoir, there's only the electronic entry. So, I phoned SAMU just to make sure they had received the paper notification ok from the abbatoir. However, they wouldn't check their records for me, and instead told me I had to take it up with the abbatoir directly  ???.

Life's too short for all this, really it is.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 11:56:46 am »
The abattoir ones just appear as electronic, all others are listed in the paper ones as far as I can see on mine.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 01:12:50 pm »
^ That's the thing, it didn't appear at all until I put it in myself a couple of weeks later  :-\.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 08:12:30 pm »
The only ones I have listed as SAMS are rams bought privately  , but no EID number is available so what's the point ? have already manually uploaded them so again what's the point of listing as a paper move ???

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 08:46:19 pm »
So having started with SCOTEID, am I ok now to just ignore it and stick with the paper movement forms and a paper flockbook?  For our current situation, it's yet another task I have to do, that adds little or no value.
Since it's voluntary, I believe you can safely forget about it for the time being if you wish (but be prepared for the learning curve when it becomes compulsory).

The plot thickens!  For all of our movements to date, there's a duplicate paper move ("SAMS") listed in the system next to the electronic one.
Hmm! I only have one farm to farm movement recorded, for which I seem to remember it took about three weeks for the movement to appear on SCOTEID after I had emailed the paper movement form to SAMU. And you are correct: there are two movements for the same date, one described as "ON/OFF" and the other as "SAMU". It doesn't appear to have put the Running Total wrong which is the main thing, but could be confusing.

I have been fairly happy with SCOTEID although I maintain the paper book as well since I can include additional information about the entries. For flock keepers who are a part of the Sheep Upland Support Scheme, I understand that any losses of ewe hoggs have to be entered promptly in SCOTEID, in spite of the system being voluntary.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS