Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mucky Bum  (Read 9288 times)

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
Mucky Bum
« on: June 23, 2008, 10:08:23 am »
Things going ok here, although one lamb has a mucky bum for a couple of days.The lamb seems to be ok in every other way, taking milk and creep feed without any problem and seems very content. Have been reading up on worming, and going out to get Panacur today. However I dont have a drenching gun thing. Is there an alternative way to administer, can it be mixed with milk in bottle? or is there another method i can use? Also thoughts on vaccinating would be welcome, what is the difference between Ovivac P and Heptavac P, once again how easy do you think it would be for me to administer. Thanks again

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Mucky Bum
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 02:54:31 pm »
Administer wormer in a large plastic syringe( minus the needle!!!) if you havent got a dosing gun!

Also re the vaccination question......I know many will shoot me but.........I do not vaccinate for anything (except blue tongue) The vets and pharmaceutical companies will ALL tell you it is necessary, however if you only have a few sheep or are very extensive and you know there have not been a lot of sheep on the ground before yours the liklihood of all the clostridial diseases is very low!

Vaccination against clostridials is useful in commercial flocks where stocking density is high, but in organic systems vaccination is only used 'if there is a problem'

Just my thoughts........ :) ;)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 03:13:23 pm »
clostridial diseases include tetanus; a disease which is not routinely vaccinated for in dogs allthough technically possible I have nursed one dog through tetanus and it wasn't pleasant and a friend lost her young pup to it; it does happen as with all vaccines its a question of weighing up the risks and that includes blue tongue vaccine soon BTV will be a dim and distant memory save for perhaps the sporadic outbreak most will vaccinate but there willl be some who take the risk and avoid vaccination and the majority that have vaccinated will offer the other sheep some  protection. again its all about risk assesment; 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 03:18:45 pm by kanisha »
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 04:28:34 pm »
Update on mucky bum, lambs wormed successfully with a plastic syringe, and all hunky dory again...for now?
Thankyou for your advice

noggie

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 12:59:38 am »
Hi,

First time using the forum, and a recent newcomer to sheep, things have turned a bit pear shaped with mucky bums in the last few days, mainly with the lambs but a couple of ewes are not far behind. The lambs are displaying some symptoms described in articles I've read, diarrhoea, weight loss and looking a bit down.

It seems a bit of a black art regarding exactly what I'm treating, should I worm them and monitor closely to see if this makes a difference, there seems to be numerous things they can pick up with similar symptoms requiring different medications.

The lambs were previously given Allverm (white) in May, after much reading I've bought a similar white drench (albex) that also treats liverfluke (in case the numerous slugs might pass this on) I'd appreciate any advice regarding treating the whole flock or just the lambs. If the lambs were separated on clean pasture when can they rejoin the ewes?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Noggie

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 01:56:58 am »
8 weeks is a long time between dosings if you have  a heavy stocking rate of say 3 to the acre upwards so worms would be a probability. There are other factors that could be a factor. long wet grass can also cause scouring, feeding too rich a cake mixture or too much can also lead to problems.

when you plan to dose your sheep bring them indoors for a couple of hours before dosingto 'empty' them then dose. ( in wet grass its also a good idea to footbath them to prevent scald or lameness)
Ian

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 10:57:19 pm »
Noggie

Treat ALL sheep regardless of age at the same time! Yours sound as if they need worming NOW!!! Do not delay, if wormed with a white wormer in May and not since, even without a potted history of your flock, and from what you say re squits and losing condition IT WILL be worms!!! Do not dither or you will lose a sheeps life!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

noggie

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 11:30:02 am »
Hi,

Thanks for advice. Kind neighbour (farmer) came across and looked at my (small) flock. It seems likely the mucky bums were caused by my moving 'em to new pasture. Dosed the flock anyway, sorted out all feet and fleeces. One week on they're all still clean and appear to be thriving.
Lots to learn, so all advice very welcome - thanks.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 12:08:20 am »
Remember worming them whilst they actually still have the scoots isn't all that good for them. Its better to try and worm them before they get to that stage, or after they dry up. However, sometimes its a vicious circle, and you have to worm them to get them dried up!

noggie

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 09:47:13 pm »
Hi Ballingall,

Thanks for your reply, so far so good, they still appear to be dry, I'll take on board your comments.

Regards
Noggie

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS