Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Billy goats  (Read 4138 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Billy goats
« on: April 21, 2010, 12:44:18 pm »
As someone who is very attached to her animals, I find it very hard to part with them, but with intact Billy goats, you cannot keep the same one forever, sadly.  You have to introduce new blood lines - the same goes for me with my ponies, and the stallion used.

I have two British Alpines that I want to hopefully get in kid to Paddy in the Autumn, and a couple of pygmy goats for Bobby to get in kid.  I have the daughters from both these billies, so will need a fresh billy for them.  I really like Paddy, he is nice and friendly to be around - except when he wants his food, then he lets you know  lol!!

I have had a few enquiries from people wanting to use both my billies, so they can do that, and make me a bit of money .....but I am keeping my eye out for another large billy goat.  The problem is both goats have been well looked after with me, and the pygmy did come from an inexperienced home, and had life hard before I got him.  I therefore do not want either goat going to somewhere where they would not be cared for.  Sadly once sold, its out of my hands :'(

chickenfeed

Re: Billy goats
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 01:38:52 pm »
 :goat:could you not send them out on loan that way you do still have some say in their welfare, and you can bring them back a use when you need to use them, a lot of people around here do this and it seems to work well.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:45:44 pm »
Loaning out can backfire on you too though. I had one who I (generously I felt) gave out on loan instead of selling him. He got him in September one year, and the following October, I got a phone call on the Tuesday, saying could I take him back. I said, well yes, but not straight away because we were in the middle of building our goat shed, and I had phsyically no room for him. So I got another call on Thursday, saying, I'm bringing him to yours on Sunday. I had no place to keep him, we had to put him into a 5ft by 4ft shed overnight, and had to have him put to sleep the following day, because we simply had no room, and I couldn't keep him cramped in that tiny shed. Of course, 6 weeks after that, we had the big shed finished, and I could have kept him, but I was given no choice. Asking someone else to take on a adult make at that time of year is difficult too, as people don't have room, and have their own adult males who are smelly and obnoxious enough without an extra one.

If of course I had sold him to this chap, he wouldn't have been able to do that to me, and the billy would probably have survived.

I may be in a similar position with my big boy soon Roxy. I will advertise him for sale this year, but if no one wants him, I have grown too attached to him to let him go to market or to a home I may not trust, so if that happens, I will end up keeping him.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 12:19:41 pm »
People will only want to loan between September and March for the main breeding season, I expect.  And then want to return the billy.

Billy goats are expensive to keep, they eat a lot, and can devour a lot of hay too.  Its a headache housing them, both my billies are in stone buildings.  Having seen what the pygmy did with his large horns at a wooden fence at his previous home, that made my mind up about the stone shed!!

If I loaned a billy, and then they returned him without warning, I too would be  stuck, as you cannot just put an intact billy in with any goats .....I would have a new billy by then.

I know when I loaned a horse some time ago, we had an agreement drawn up that it was for a year, and extendable, and if one of us wanted to stop loaning, then a months notice was to be given.  I ended up with her for three years, and then the lady gave me three months notice, which was good of her, so I had the pony all summer to ride.

I think a similar document would need to be done for loaning a billy goat, giving the owner ample time to sort accommodation or another loaner out.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 10:03:07 pm »
why don't the two of you swap billies?!!
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 10:17:43 pm »
Lol, that would be handy wouldn't it! Sadly, it wouldn't work for me, as I have AN's, and they all pure bred so Paddy is the wrong breed. Plus I need a male that is registered, and CAE tested! However, Roxy, if you want a soppy very large billy goat who dislikes other billy goats, then you are most welcome!

Beth

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 10:21:52 pm »
(I kind of knew that anyway! )  just a thought.... ; )
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 10:50:48 pm »
Before I got into rescuing goats - I had pure bred British Sanaan, and British Alpine ......but I did not show them, just bred.  And the problems I had finding a registered billy near by were immense. So nowadays, they are bred just for the pleasure they give me, and as all the goats were free, them being unregistered is not an issue :D

I love Anglo Nubians, and used to have some lovely females, and of course I have my two castrated boys, Cain and Abel.  I am really tempted to have some more as I do like the breed.  As to having a AN billy ...well, of course I would have to have one!!!  Just thinking, the nearest AN breeder is probably the one who bred Cain and Abel, which is a good few miles further into Derbyshire.

Just trying to imagine Ricks face if I said did he fancy a trip to Scotland to buy a billy goat........I have only just casually mentioned the fact that I am collecting two British Alpine females as new ladies for Paddy, next week!!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 11:36:22 pm »
Lol, your poor hubby!

Though I am as bad myself- I have found myself a new male kid, without yet finding a buyer for my adult male or my male kid who is for sale! We currently have 4 entire boys, and he would be in addition to that....

I am having trouble deciding which male to get- I have a choice of two. One is better bred, and is a nicer animal himself, but the women who has bred him is not getting her females to milk well... Or I can have the not as nice one, but the breeding he is from produces loads of milk.

Decisions, decisions.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 11:53:08 pm »
Oooh....tough one that.  I know you show your goats, so the breeding is important, but there again so is the milking potential.  Personally, I would want the higher milk yield .....I think.

Its bad enough with two intact boys - 4 would be a headache.  Talking of headaches and billy goats......the two little goats and mum were heading off up the paddock to bed, and llama decided it would be fun to chase the little ones.   He had not reckoned on the appearance of Paddy, who was also taking himself off after stuffing his face on grass.  He was not having his babies chased!!  He reared up and ran at Robbie the llama, who decided not to bother the little goats again. He got a whack from Paddys horns!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS