Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you clean an internal stone wall?  (Read 18501 times)

Styles087

• Joined Mar 2016
How do you clean an internal stone wall?
« on: March 18, 2016, 08:36:42 pm »
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on how to clean and seal an old internal stone wall in our kitchen. It's covered in years worth of dust at the moment and making the rest of the kitchen really dusty too! It's an original wall from a house built in 1912 if that's of any use.

Many Thanks!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: How do you clean an internal stone wall?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 02:24:39 pm »
We've used bleach hot water and a scrubbing brush, and also products from here http://www.lithofin.co.uk/

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 02:40:45 pm »
There's an amazing product called kling-strip which is a poultice usually used for removing paint BUT I used it once to renovate a marble fireplace and the results were superb. You trowel it on and cover in old plastic bags/polythene etc to keep it moist for however long you need... and quite apart from breaking down old paint it sucks the dirt right out of the stone..and just washes off afterwards.
Sealing the stone after is another matter. I've used a coupls of expensive products and not been happy with their longer term performance. Waxing stone is hard work.

Suprising how porous stone really is.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 08:12:08 pm »
Red diesel ;)

Seriously, if its just dust then I would suggest wire brush. Of course you could goto the extreme of using brick acid.

I would not think of putting any sealer on them at all.  Its like painting your pebble dash white - once you do it - your retreating it every year to a fresh coat.

Its stone - its great as it is.

Thats said - I did throw a jar of mayonnaise at the wall many years ago in temper - the wall look great where it hit - cant wash it out at all - its loverly and damp shiney looking.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 08:13:59 pm by bazzais »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 08:56:55 pm »
egg yolk as the basis of tempera ..paints like that have lasted centuries  ;D
Perhaps you need the courage to roller the whole thing in helmanns  :roflanim:

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 07:34:05 pm »
Brick acid
used for cleaning split mortar ect from bricks.
Then spray it with something like thompsons water seal , seals dust in and keeps it clean

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 07:41:41 pm »
Thin PVA for sealing. I have used this on a old brick and lime morter mantelpiece. Can not really see it has been done but stops it making dust.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS