Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polytunnels - netting versus plastic  (Read 3656 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Polytunnels - netting versus plastic
« on: December 02, 2015, 10:35:58 pm »
If I've missed some other relevant posts, please do point me to.  However: hoping for some views on use of 30-40% "shade netting" (so-called) rather than plastic covered poly's for propagation of veg' and tree seedlings.  My thoughts/considerations are:

A.  I won't be on-site daily to adjust ventilation during hot/sunny weather;
B.  No condensation to worry about either;
C.  A bit better than having no protection against pests;
D.  Plants only utilise a very minor percentage of available "light" for photosynthesis so low percent shading - say 30-40% netting - shouldn't matter, right!!??;
E.  Lower visual impact in the environment (site is visually exposed from wide surrounding area). 

I'd really love to hear of any experiences with growing under "shade netting".  Thanks

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Polytunnels - netting versus plastic
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 02:55:12 am »
What sort of heat reduction will the netting give compared to poly sheeting .

If I paint my glasshouse in white sun block , the heat reduction it tremendous .
 Most times I've used it it has delayed the crops with in by three or more weeks & this is on plants that have started growing in the second potto=ing up pots from a thermostaticaly heated UV l( LED BULB )  bed

Last year here in South Wales none of my tomatoes managed to ripen till I washed the shade wash off .

You can make end windows well hinged at the top out of netting & / or poly sheet & use adapted automatic greenhouse window vent opener fittings @ approx £15 per opener device including arms & mountings
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Polytunnels - netting versus plastic
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 08:44:12 pm »
What sort of heat reduction will the netting give compared to poly sheeting .

If I paint my glasshouse in white sun block , the heat reduction it tremendous .
 Most times I've used it it has delayed the crops with in by three or more weeks & this is on plants that have started growing in the second potto=ing up pots from a thermostaticaly heated UV l( LED BULB )  bed

Last year here in South Wales none of my tomatoes managed to ripen till I washed the shade wash off .

You can make end windows well hinged at the top out of netting & / or poly sheet & use adapted automatic greenhouse window vent opener fittings @ approx £15 per opener device including arms & mountings

Thanks clodhopper: your points above are food for thought. 
I would add, however, that I'm not thinking to bring plants on to maturity (or fruiting) under "cover".  What I'm looking to achieve is a low-attendance benign environment for seedlings to take-off before selling as seasonal cell-grown seedlings (veg), or as seedlings to put out-doors to grow-on for eventual sale as plug or bare-root plants at 2-3 yrs (conifers or broad-leaf).  Some, of course, will go outside to be grown-on as Xmas trees "in the field".
I did find a piece on netting acting as a heat-sink, but is was in combination with a glass or plastic covering and not in the UK (Australia I recall - of course that would be a whole different climate!) - I seem to have lost the link though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS