Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the butcher has made bacon but the eye and streaky in one piece - is this normal  (Read 2887 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
I'm a tad confused I had bacon made from my 6m pigs so the meat isnt enormous (the loin) but the belly piece is still attached so I assume because of the lack of meat is this the reason however there is a lot of fat very little meat.  I wanted to sell this but its so long and looks very fatty. I cant sell this at a premium now as only half of it is edible for the modern consumer.  I was initially looking at £10 for 1kg as home cured and organic however I feel it doesnt warrant this price. Any feedback on this.  I will have to phone him in the morning.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs

With the 'eat as they used to' trend these days, the extra fatty bacon is apparently highly sought after by the connoisseur  :pig:. It gives plenty of flavour and crispiness, especially without the water usually added.   Use it as a plus point and charge accordingly.  Others may know the names of chefs who prefer the fattier bacon - my memory doesn't stretch that far.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Some pictures of the meat would help.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Bacon made with the loin and belly in one piece is what used to be called "middle" bacon. It used to be commonly sold everywhere but has gone out of fashion. I sell a fair bit of bacon and I'd say that while there are some very enthusiastic lovers of fatty old style bacon, 90% of our customers prefer it a bit leaner.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Bacon made with the loin and belly in one piece is what used to be called "middle" bacon. It used to be commonly sold everywhere but has gone out of fashion. I sell a fair bit of bacon and I'd say that while there are some very enthusiastic lovers of fatty old style bacon, 90% of our customers prefer it a bit leaner.

I see - I remember hearing middle bacon when I was younger.  The streaky part though it lacking meat I will see if I can post a pic later.  What concerns me is the younger customers will complain about the fat and have to trim a lot of it off.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Hughesy is right thats middle bacon. If he is a good butcher then he may have felt that, that made the best use of what might have been a fatty carcass. Most people have an idea of what amount of eye they expect to see on a slice of commercial, intensive farmed back bacon. If our pig didnt have that sized cut then he ma have been trying to create more value in the product by leaving the tail on.

Good butchers are hard to find and the butcher represents at least half of your products value and visual appeal so work with him and with the carcasses that you send.

It sounds like its your first time so there is chance to get it right for the next one.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS