Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: As far as I am concerned my Collies inherited CL (Ceroid Lipofuscinosis)  (Read 4396 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
I am quite shocked that after taking my pups at 20 months old to the vets because they were blind and going totally weird she never mentioned this when she could of taken bloods and had the DNA tested. 

Having read up on collie blindness (perfect pups but started to deteriorate after 16 months old)  Doing my own research I have unscientifically to come up with this Ceroid[/size][/color] Lipofuscinosis
[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]The [/size][/color]Affected animals appear normal until aged approximately 18 months. However, from the embryonic stage, there is a metabolic defect which allows a waste product 'ceroid lipofuscin' to accumulate in body cells.[/size][/color]The brain cells have very little room for waste products and symptoms emerge when an accumulation of waste begins to compress and destroy healthy brain cells. As a result, by 18 months of age some or all of the following signs may be noted:[/size][/color]Unreasonable apprehension or fear of familiar objects/surroundings, sight disturbance.[/color][/size][/color]Abnormal gait - is unsteady on feet, has difficulty with jumping or climbing or placing feet, tends to prop or goose-step.[/size][/color]Demented behaviour, mania, hyperactivity, rage.[/color][/size][/color]The disease progresses rapidly once the initial signs appear and the distressed animals have not been kept past the age of 2 1/2 years. Unfortunately there is no treatment for an affected animal.[/size][/color]To date there is no test available to identify which dogs have inherited the disease or are carriers of the defective gene. Suspected cases can be confirmed by brain biopsy. A post mortem examination will give an accurate diagnosis.[/size]
This is exactly what my two pups had they changed from fun loving mad pups into a sad pathetic mess, terrified of people, stiff legs, slow and totally blind.  The final step came when I ran over one as she didnt see me, one went missing and this one was appalling to see her - she couldnt gauge where I was and all night wondered back and for on the yard. I felt sick seeing her alive every day and I had to get her put out of her misery.[/font]
[/size]Lesson leant is to only buy from a registered breeder and will insist on replacing a working collie that they have a DNA test to check for any anomalies that apparently 90% of collies carry.
[/size]Sad end...
[/size]

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
I hadn't heard of this one.  A sickening thing to happen.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
How awful for the dogs and for you very sad, did you tell the original breeder?
________
Caroline

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Our collie has collie  eye and  the vet did not pick that up until he was about 6months. He is ok in daylight . The breeder, a retired farmer could not have cared less. Every Tom , Dick and Harry seems to breed these days regardless of the health of the dogs and charge lots of money.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
How often do I have to say this (sorry, it doesn't help you or your dogs, I am so sorry  :'( )

ALWAYS check the KC website for the recommended health tests required on your chosen breed
ALWAYS ask for certification from the breeder that their breeding stock has been tested and is clear.

Sensible smallholders do it for cows, sheep, goats even chickens and ducks in some cases so why not dogs?

Surely it is now high time that ALL dog breeding was regulated and licensed!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
So agree Doganjo - my husband went off to see them and was smitten - didnt see the parents and this got my alarm bells ringing however as pups smashing and great fun however they did suffer terrible with Cryptosporidium[/size][/color].  They were great dogs and had them checked out at the vets and he was happy. It was only through my exploration that I realised they had become blind and were mentally & physically changing. The vet was too obsessed with spending a few hundred pounds taking them to the eye clinic and all she had to do was do some research on the collie site and this condition comes up.[/font][/b]
[/size][/b]
[/size][/color]Fingers burnt and next time I am going for a DNA and all checks.[/font][/b]
[/size][/b]
[/color][/size]I just want to warn others too.  Collies are susceptible to this and eye anomalies.[/color]

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
I'm confused,  you state why didn't the vet dna test.for it, but then go on to explain there isn't a test other than post mortem! So the vets arnt to blame,  actually no one is to blame, !   

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
The OptiGen CL test is a DNA-based test that provides a method to identify the Border Collie ceroid lipofuscinosis, commonly referred to as CL, which is inherited as a recessive genetic defect. This test allows you to control the CL gene frequency in your line so you can prevent producing puppies affected with the disease.
Besides Border Collies, CL has been described in English Setters, Tibetan Terriers and American Bulldogs. The OptiGen CL test is specific for the Border Collie and detects the CL genetic status in Border Collies only.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
I'm confused,  you state why didn't the vet dna test.for it, but then go on to explain there isn't a test other than post mortem! So the vets arnt to blame,  actually no one is to blame, !

I didnt blame the vet I took the dogs because I wanted help to see if there was anything else wrong. The vet sent me away after she wasnt much help and didnt bother to find out about inherited diseases but wanted me to send the dogs to an eye clinic for £160 each (when it was obv that both were totally blind).  I dont think she understood inherited diseases but could of done a search and offered a DNA test on the bloods to confirm all the points I raised to confirmed CL - Instead weeks went on while I tried to get hold of her and this is when they started to deteriorate even further.  It was my google that confirmed the CL. 

As a big vetinary practice of small and big animals I would of expected her to discuss it with the partners and did a little research, meanwhile our different large animal vet mentioned the DNA testing.  Reason why Google is such a wonderful thing - similar to GPs really.

I will write to them to confirm my thoughts and disappointment in even not offering DNA test.  Bit late now I know.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
I'm so sorry to hear about that farmerswife, it sounds horrible. If you need another dog I would recommend buying from these people http://www.welshsheepdogsociety.com/ I know it may be a little too soon at the moment to be thinking of purchasing another animal, but maybe in the near future when you feel you're ready to buy another dog. I know how difficult it can be to lose a dog, but in those circumstances it sounds really hard. Wishing you all the best :hug: and let us know how you get on?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: As far as I am concerned my Collies inherited CL (Ceroid Lipofuscinosis)
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 07:50:53 am »
This is awful!  Have you spoken to the breeder? 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
Re: As far as I am concerned my Collies inherited CL (Ceroid Lipofuscinosis)
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 08:15:59 pm »
So agree Doganjo - my husband went off to see them and was smitten - didnt see the parents and this got my alarm bells ringing
Doubt this particular breeder would be any help at all!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS