Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: quails laying in the winter months  (Read 2222 times)

dr241000

• Joined Jan 2016
  • Saxmundham, Suffolk
quails laying in the winter months
« on: January 12, 2016, 05:46:34 pm »
Hi accidental smallholders,

I currently keep 12 Japanese quail, (2 males + 10 females) which stopped laying through the winter. Is this caused because of lack of light or not enough heat? :sunshine:
I hope you can help.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: quails laying in the winter months
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:44:41 pm »
 The weather's not been particularly cold; so unless you're keeping them in the fridge, or not feeding them adequately it's more likely to be shortened day length.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 05:26:46 pm »
Quail are very seasonal layers. Ours usually stop laying in mid- late September and start again at Easer time.

As you say,  it is due to day length and temperature. Guessing that if you wanted to keep them in lay you would need artificial lighting .... as some people use to keep hens in lay. I just let mine have their rest.  :)

This year for us has been a little different. Ours continued to lay into November and started again a couple of weeks ago!  Assuming due to a very mild autumn and December and assuming they will now stop again now as it has just started to snow!   ::)

dr241000

• Joined Jan 2016
  • Saxmundham, Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 08:32:12 pm »
Ok thanks very much, i'd better let mine have a rest next winter as well. :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS