Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheepdog training  (Read 6280 times)

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
Sheepdog training
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:19:12 pm »
Anyone interested in sheepdog training? Fed up with chasing the sheep round when you need to do something and are short of time and patience?

We run taster days in sheepdog handling, train dogs and also handlers. Based in the southwest.

If you are interested please contact me.
www.freddiesfarm.co.uk

You can either try your hand with your own dog or have a go with one of our "trained" dogs. Groups or individual sessions.

Once you have a trained dog you will never go back!   :D

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Sheepdog training
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 12:54:25 pm »
What wonderful looking dogs.....Are they all yours?
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 03:54:37 pm »
Lovely dogs. I think ours are now irredeemable.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 08:42:59 pm »
Southwest is a bit far for me, alas.  :(

Has anyone got any observations about how easy it is to train a (7 yr old) GSD as a sheepdog?

mab

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 06:37:03 pm »
Depends on her reaction to the sheep.  Are they your own?  I would try her in a fairly small area so you can get her away from them fast unless you are sure she is bonb proof with them. You can work out whether she can be trained to work them by her reaction.  Watch her, take note of what she does, then check out this website.  Most dogs are trained for work from a  few months of age, but it all depends on how much basic training she has had already.  Shepherds are a guarding breed rather than a shepherding breed, being extremely loyal.
http://www.herding-dog-training-border-collie-sheepdog-dvd.com/dvd_herding_first_steps_in_border_collie_sheepdog_training.htm
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 12:29:59 am »
Yes the sheep are mine.

She's actually a little wary of one of the sheep but the other two sheep are wary of her, and she would like to chase them, but knows she's not allowed. When we're in with the sheep she trys to stay close to me but runs away when the tamest sheep comes up to me (or keeps on the far side of me).

I think she would be OK, so long as she doesn't get too excited, but I think I'll need to teach her the commands so she has some idea before I ttry to get her to move actual sheep.

mab

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 01:39:36 pm »
I'd be very interested!! Where abouts are you, I looked on your site but couldn;t see anything about course lengths or prices etc?  :) :dog:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS