Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rats  (Read 2784 times)

fangfarrier

• Joined Jun 2009
Rats
« on: April 19, 2010, 11:14:30 am »
We've had a lot of rats in and around our hen house which we've just about kept under control.
Mr fox recently had all our birds except one who has gone to a neighbour, so the rats are a bit short of food now and are being seen near to our house.I need to get rid of them before I restock, but don't fancy using poison because of my dogs.
Is it true that if a dog eats a rat that has been poisoned, that it may have enough residual poison in it to hurt the dog? I've caught the some with traps but not enough...any ideas?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Rats
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:40:29 pm »
It says on the poison we have to keep away from pets - I guess it could stay in the dead rat & therefore dog.
We've set traps... and caught nothing, so good for you!
thinking of trying ultrasonic repellers stuck down their holes...
Little Blue

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 10:16:14 pm »
Ask around, you may find that someone in your area has a terrier that's particularly good at catching rats... Its great fun to watch and over very quickly. Infact I'd say its more humane than using poison!

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 11:21:18 am »
Whatever you do dont let any dogs near the rats if they have had poison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have 6 terriers and do alot of ratting round our area, the OH had taken them without me one day last year and they had killed some rats somewhere where they had been eating poison, well two of the dogs went ill for a week or so but recovered but one of them was in pup, it had killed the pups and that poisoned her and she had to be put down as she didnt make it after the c-section etc  :( , this was just from getting a bit of rat blood in there system as none of them eat the actual rats!! :o
Danielle  :dog: :love:

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 01:07:30 pm »
Hi,
  I have been looking into this because of my animals and there is a product with no afterkill, it is called ERADIBAIT, flytes of fancy supply it amongst others, may be worth you having a look at that!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS