Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune cant stand  (Read 2867 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Kune cant stand
« on: November 28, 2015, 08:04:54 am »
Hi,

have any of you experienced a pig that is suffering from nerve damage? I have a 12 week old piglet who started showing signs of an intermittent or reduced nerve impulse to her back legs on thursday. She was unsteady and when her back legs buckled under her she had to pull herself along, scrabbling with her back legs until she could stand again. Occasionally standing with the back foot turned under as though she was unaware of its position.

I moved her to a separate accommodation with hay and a warm bed in sight of the others. The vet was out within 30 mins and gave metacam for any trauma and Betamox L.A in case of a floating abscess caused by infection entering the navel at birth  ( joint ill).

Yesterday he was unable to stand at all and although she is eating well she hasnt left her bed. The vet has said that even if whatever is applying the pressure, be it disk or abscess, the nerves may not recover and has recommended that I do not use her for breeding as the weight of the boar or the piglets. He has also said that continuing to fatten her or placing her with her rough housing siblings may be too much if she carries a weakness. 

Any thoughts anyone. :'(

HappyHippy

Re: Kune cant stand
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 10:36:36 am »
I've heard of a couple of sows with similar things (not kunekune though and never as young)
I'm a bit stuck for advice  :( If it was me I'd separate and see how they are after 24-48 hours but if the metacam and antiB don't help I don't think you have many options  :'(
Worth posting on the kk website in their discussion board to see if anyone else has experience and I'd also let the breeder know.
Kx

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 11:24:22 am »
I karen,

I moved her as soon as she started being unsteady, she is in a warm bed but can no longer stand at all. I let the breeder know. I feel she is deteriorating and am due to phone the vet on mon for a review. I feel pts is inevitable but the breeder thinks anti inflam and rest could fix it so I feel caught between not wanting it to drag on and not wanting to act in haste.

Just feel I am a bit jinxed when it comes to kunes.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 12:34:15 pm »
I'd give it 24 hours - pigs that have been healthy and kept well have amazing recovery powers  ;)
But if there's no improvement at all pts is probably the only option I think. You'd spend all your time worrying whether she'd get to pork size without a relapse - it's a hard situation but only you/your vet can make the call.  :hug:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 01:58:34 pm »
It started on Thursday and she lost the ability to walk at all by Friday . As she is due more meds on monday the vet and I agreed to do review it then. Having googled her symptoms this seems to be a very common incidence in pigs and the american breeding forums seem to be full of these instances even down to the trembley back legs.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 02:59:32 pm »
I'd suspect an abscess first of all.  Trouble with these is they're kind of encapsulated and it's difficult for the a/bs to work.  Had a sow with this once and she had to be put down.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 03:40:22 pm »
vet thinks its an abscess but breeder thinks she has slipped. What were our sows symptoms marches? was it sudden or gradual, did she have a temp, was she off her food?

Have just given her. her tea and a drink she had has some carrots for the evening and after a stroke and a squirm round she settled down for a sleep again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS