Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New lamb owner needs help  (Read 2984 times)

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
New lamb owner needs help
« on: April 19, 2010, 02:23:16 am »
Posted by dottydiva62

Hand Rearing Lambs-Procedures

Ok> My lambs are doing well apart from upset tummies which seem to of settles down after having several doses of probiotic.

So what next, do I worm, will they need vaccinations and I have heard about treat them for flies and getting dipped, I only have two, I am a complete novice so please excuse my ignorance but we all have to start somewhere and I want to get it right.

They are on 4 feeds per day of about just over a litre of lamlac in total, they are also on pellets and nibbling hay.

I just need to be guided as a course of action.

Thank you,

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: New lamb owner needs help
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:06:03 am »
Hi, you don't say how old the lambs are.  Watch you don't overfeed them.  Spray for flystrike from approx 4 weeks old.  Feet won't need doing if you are sending for meat and if keeping still probably won't need anything done for first 6 months but keep an eye on them.

Worming shouldn't need doing but it depends where you got them from so possibly a poo sample to the vet for analysis and then discuss suitable worming programme with them.

If they have plenty of grass, water and the bottle they will be happy.  I reared two in the garden a couple of years ago but they ate all my plants so live in the field now!

If bums are dirty clean and clip off mucky fleece or it will attract flies plus be uncomfortable.

Good luck

dottydiva62

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 08:22:58 am »
Hi.  Thank you for that.  Lambs are about 3 weeks and I got them from a local sheep farm where I keep my horses.  Originally we were taking them just to rear and give back but they have been named and are such characters we are keep them.  We do have a small paddock with donkeys and will put them in their eventually but are currently in the wendy house with a small fenced off garden!  I will get some stuff for the fly strike but do they need vaccinations?  They are on pellets and milk but when do I reduce their milk feed as so many people tell me different things.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 09:02:47 am »
See if you can "borrow" vet stuff like for fly strike from you sheep farmer. It tends to come in BIG bottles to do 100 sheep or so and you'll end up wasting most of it.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 10:59:38 am »
Once they are eating grass and creep then you can either stop the Lamlac abruptly, or cut down like we did. They will be very vocal about it for a couple of days, ours baaa-ed everytime they saw a human for about 3 days, but they've stopped now.

We're just about to worm using Panacur.

dottydiva62

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:34:50 pm »
They are two weeks old so when do I worm? I know fly strike needs doing end of May?  Also should they be tagged or recorded somewhere, they are going to be lawnmovers for the paddock!

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 07:42:36 pm »
I'm sure you should have already got a CPH number, they should have been tagged on the holding of their birth and you should have sent a movement record to the local authority.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS