Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: smell to good pork or boar taint?  (Read 4072 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
smell to good pork or boar taint?
« on: November 26, 2015, 05:53:43 pm »
I'm convinced that proper outdoor reared pigs give a savory smell to the raw meat over a supermarket meat - would you agree?  Not a strong smell but a light aroma.[/size]I cured a ham leg with Paulines ham in a bag off Local Heroes website.  The meat was around 5 days old when I started curing it and unsure if the butcher said it was boar meat.  Anyway I have washed the cure off and there is a spicy farmy taint smell that not nasty but its there and concerned that 1. it just may be the pork 2. Its boar taint or 3. The meat wasnt fresh enough (hardly) 4. I'm going to kill someone.  I hate this feeling that I've messed up I've made this ham for Christmas now I'm having an anxiety attack about it.Please help.[/color]

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: smell to good pork or boar taint?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 06:01:50 pm »
So sorry to hear that.  according to this.....
Boar taint is a penetrating unpleasant odour (and accompanying taste) in pork. If strong, it is associated with manure, urine and sweat. A person can only smell the odour when the meat is heated, i.e. in the pan.

The other thing to know on taint is that there are other kinds of taint that any meat can have which get confused with boar taint. Improper kill, chill, handling, etc.
http://www.permies.com/t/28442/pigs/Boar-Taint

It could also be what the pig has been fed on? plus the results above. I would go back to the butcher ask what meat it was which he sold to you , either male or female, and all the above.
We had meat back from a female pig and it was very salty, which suggests she was cycling at the time. I really hope you get to the bottom of the matter and keep us posted?
All the best
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 10:39:58 pm »
we took 5 males and 1 female lops.  6 months old.  Fed on organic nuts and veg (also milk from cow).

Perhaps it was starting to get slimy as when it was delivered to us in bags it starting to turn?

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 09:17:30 am »
At 5 days it's not going to be the pork (unless it's not been stored properly chilled).
Feeding is unlikely to affect it either - only big quantities of something like turnip, cauliflour etc would maybe give a slight smell.
Were the boars intact and had they been running with the gilt? My gut feeling is that it's a boar that's been cured - curing can amplify the taint (obviously if they're castrated it'll not be an issue).
It may just be this particular cure?
Because I'm one of those who can smell taint it puts me off eating it - but I'm told there's no taste of it.
Have you soaked the ham overnight in clean water? If you plan on roasting it, I'd do that and see if it helps (if you're boiling it, it's not an issue the salts will come out then). Then I'd slice a bit off, cook it and see how it tastes  :thumbsup:

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 10:04:16 am »
I think I am over reacting (AGAIN) its not that bad and reading about taint I'm not convinced it is as that supposed to smell of sweaty socks and this doesnt and I'm sure my pork has a rather floral spicy porky smell.  I'm just making sure that the cure worked well as I did it in food bags and there wasnt much juice escaping.

I have washed the ham and froze it now as I intend to cook it before Christmas.  Fingers crossed - you read all these horror stories about cures but wonder if its all cautionary!

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 10:49:08 am »
What weight was the joint?
How much cure did you use?
How thick was the joint in it's thickest part?
How long did you leave it in the cure?
These will all determine whether it's properly cured  ;)
The cure I use is 500g of cure to 9.5kg of meat, it doesn't look like much but it works  ;)
For bacon I cure from a week to 10 days depending on thickness but for big joints (5-6 inches thick) I usually leave them at least 2 weeks - even then I find myself slicing into them just to check the cure's gone all the way through. The meat changes colour and texture as the water is drawn out.
I'm sure it'll be lovely  :yum: Stop worrying  :hug:

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 02:36:57 pm »
The cure was an injection type based on calculations on  http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/calculator/paulines_ham/index.htm#body-anchor  - its not a off smell. Over 15 days and turned regularly.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 04:41:16 pm »
What breed and how old was the pig?  Native breeds rarely have boar taint, despite what some butchers would have you believe.  Landrace X are another matter.  We took in a boar on Tuesday that was born on 28th April and the meat is perfect.  He was in a pen next to his sisters.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS