Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What size should Tamworth weaners be?  (Read 3228 times)

Wortle

• Joined Jan 2009
What size should Tamworth weaners be?
« on: April 18, 2010, 05:50:39 pm »
I know this is a bit like how long is a piece of string but can someone give me some guidance.

I am off to see to see some 11 week old Tammys and want to know what size a well grown pig would be.I am expecting cocker spaniel size. Am I way off? Any thoughts about other things I should look for? Obviously like any other animal, bright eyes and disposition, no scouring etc. Any other pointers.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: What size should Tamworth weaners be?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 06:01:12 pm »
They should be bright, inquisative yet timid(depending on their human contact) and have have their ears pricked up watching you. Always look at where they've kept them, the conditions etc. Try and have a look at their mum too. She too should be bright, maybe slightly thin due to feeding piglets, but should still look healthy.  If the seller is happy to show you round their ground/farm and its in good condition then usually the animals are kept in the same standard.
If in doubt, jyst say you'll think about it!!!

Wortle

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 06:54:35 pm »
Thanks, and size wise at 11 weeks, any guide?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:59:54 am »
I wouldn't worry about it if they are healthy. We've had batches with big and small but by slaughter time, the wee ones have pretty much caught up.

We usually get outs at 8 weeks and yes, they are probably cocker spaniel sized but heavier, noisier and harder to carry with no "handles".

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:17:31 am »
Excellent description Rosemary  :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:14:38 am »
Our piglets (not tamworths though) are 11 weeks and bigger than our cocker spaniel, I'd say they're more like the size of our fat springer spaniel lol, the 2 boars are noticeably bigger than the girls too but all look well covered, healthy and happy.
British Expat trying to live a better life in Bulgaria

Wortle

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 02:01:33 pm »
Thanks.

I was wanting to know for transport purposes too really! Dont want to give them too much space and dont want to confine them too much either.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 06:44:59 pm »
Hi
We picked up 4 GOS weaners (12 weeks old) a couple of weeks ago and put them in our dog crate - they had stacks of room. The crate is 1m wide, 70cm deep and about 1m high. I 'think' Tamworths are a bit smaller than GOS.
Tish

Wortle

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 07:05:36 pm »
Lovely.I have a 1.25 x .70 x .90 crate so that should be great if I decide to go ahead. Thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS