Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Squash plants  (Read 3691 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Squash plants
« on: April 18, 2010, 05:18:08 pm »
I have grown some squash plants from seed in a propagator, then repotted when they were about 6cms and kept on a windowsill, then moved again out to a plastic coldframe/greenhouse thingy, where they were aired in the day and zipped up at night.

In the last 3 or 4 days I have been putting them out during the day to harden and in, unzipped, at night. Now they are drooping and the edges of the leaves are curling - one is almost brown although the stem looks good. I have been watering them every day, so am I watering them too much or too little?

They are about 10 inches high in 5 inch pots, no roots showing out the bottom or anything. I was planning on putting 2 in the ground and 2 in large pots next week, now I am wondering whether to do it now, although they really haven't hardened long, or am I making them too cold?

I really will be gutted if I lose them!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Squash plants
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:56:39 am »
I've never had any luck with squashes so can't help. Hope someone can though.

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:22:59 pm »
Good luck with these. I am no expert but have only just sowed my squash last weekend in a coldframe. It may simply be too cold for your plants just yet. Olly.
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 07:28:44 pm »
I've grown squash a few times and i think it's too cold for them to be out yet.  most folks have only begun sowing in the last couple of weeks as they like the heat so i think you need to keep them nice and warm for a wee bit longer - especially with our forecast for it to be colder for the next week or so

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 02:46:17 pm »
I agree. I had some plants outside last year and didn't get more than one fruit in the lousy summer. I'll keep mine in the new greenhouse until it is really summer this year.  :&>

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 04:27:58 pm »
I wouldn't think about hardening them off until the middle of May. If you were near me I could let you have eight different varieties., only potted them up this afternoon!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 04:29:19 pm »
P.S. it's not too late to try again!! :)

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 11:31:20 pm »
I keep getting caught out this year- planted seedlings out in my greenhouse in April then the cold snap saw them off- even the cabbages that are supposed to be frost hardy :-\... so started again- squashes and pumpkins seem to be ok in greenhouse at the mo but def waiting a few more weeks until i plant them out.
corgettes arn't too happy though- must move a few degrees south - either that or hurry and rebuild my mark 2 polytunnel! ;)

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 07:00:50 am »
way to erly for squash ouside. most tell you to sow in may that means ready for outside mid- late june. NO FROST or chills
 :wave:

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 07:30:51 am »
Hello egbert Hello Rosemary I suffered your problem for ages when I got one to grow the horibul! thing would only have 1 pathetic fruit So I was in the walled garden one day and Tom had some great big plants from the cool frame.I could see they were Marrows of some kind and I asked the best way to grow them.He said Propagate the seed to a 2 leaf stage Re pot it in a 5" pot and leave it in the green house water it every day but don't drown it When its nice and big pop it in the cold frame leave the light off on nice days If its cold and windy leave the light over.Don't let it get cold they do not like the cold at all. Don't plant them out until the last week in June first week in July.Water them in well and then leave them alone He gets lots of Pumpkin and Butternut. Courgettes he leaves in the cool frame.Mind you he has a lot of cold framespace and cook likes the courgettes small about 4" or so.He says if the plant gets a chill it wont recover.Its a long way to Scotland from here I would think late July where you live may well be as early as you want to plant them out. :D :farmer:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 07:32:51 am by Wizard »
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS