Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: They are here!  (Read 5726 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: They are here!
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 10:45:55 pm »
I would be worried about your trees Plums! I would certainly have an area fenced off where they can be shut away from the trees. It might then be possible to let in amongst the trees whilst you are with them and able to keep them off the trees a bit. Goats love trees.

Beth

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 10:56:47 pm »
By the way glad to hear milking went ok once you got the stand. We feed them after they have all been milked, but when they new will give them treats to get onto the bench, or as a reward for standing. Things like bread, bananas, digestive biscuits.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 11:53:59 pm »
You need to fence the goats completely away from your trees.  Honestly, they will wreck the lot in no time, and it would be such a shame if they did.  In fact, if there is anything tree or bush wise that is special to you, make sure they are fenced away.  They love most trees, and will strip the bark and break branches off given the chance.

I am sure once you get in to a routine, everything will be fine.  It like anything new, it takes time to get settled, and get used to something new.

Fencing needs to be at least 4ft......having said that, my Toggenburg boys can bounce over normal sheep netting with a strand on top as well!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 07:44:27 am »
Thank you :0)  am feeling a bit more motivated and not so negative today!! amazing what some sleep can do.

we need to fence the orchard completely as you say - luckily they have stuck to the acre of so nearest to our house (where they can see us?) and as yet have not ventured to our plum area.

didn't know I could give them bread and banana's - that sounds useful, for those times when only bribery with food will do!!

Anke, we are on the same wavelength! a glass of plum wine of an evening and I normally sit by the chickens for a bit and all seems manageable again! (that's why preserving the plums is so important as without them, there will be no wine  :o
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 01:42:54 pm »
Yes, any bread, biscuits, fruit, including bananas and their skin, and even orange peel is desired by some of my goats .....urgh, it must taste horrible.  Not all my goats like green veg though, some turn their noses up at broccoli, but all will eat carrots, and some eat potato peelings.  Only thing I can think of not to give is the big green rhubarb tops, and potato tops, as in the big green tops before you dig them up.  Onions not liked, but mine will happily eat Celery.

Goats are browsers, not grazers, and would happily do without grass if they had free access to trees for the leaves and branches, and things like bramble and fruit bushes.  I have watched my goats over the years, and know thats their preference.

I always have a little tub of sheep nuts in the food barrel.  Its really useful if the goats escape.  A shake of that, and they think of food, and come running.  An empty feed sack works good too.  You need to have a few cunning plans up your sleeve, as goats are very brainy!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 06:15:08 pm »
just been out and given them a nice medley of cucumber, banana,apple cores,and a parsnip! the rabbits and gpigs did get some too.
one of the goats is my new shadow! she's one of the 'kids' (albeit 8 months) and totally adorable.

my 3 year old milked the nanny earlier, didn't expect her to actually acheive anything but she did really well! her hands are just the right size - won't be making a habit of this slave labour though!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS