Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching eggs  (Read 1707 times)

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
Hatching eggs
« on: March 25, 2023, 02:57:50 pm »
2 weeks into eggs being in the incubator (Brinsea Octogon 20) and the auto turn has packed up. I've checked it thro' and it seems the motor has given up. Is all lost or will turning manually a couple of times a day see me out.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
Re: Hatching eggs
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 07:40:10 pm »
It's not the turning you need to worry about (yes a couple of times a day will suffice), it will be the fluctuation in humidity that will affect them when you take them lid off to turn them. However, you only have 4 days to go if you are on day 14 and then you can stop turning anyway. From day 18 they can be left alone and humidity can be increased to around 65%.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 06:44:56 am »
According to Gail Damerow (Storey's guide to Raising Chickens) eggs don't need to be turned after day 14, so to avoid the aforementioned humidity variation from opening the incubator I would stop turning them now anyway. Day 18 humidity should be raised to 75% and left untouched. Presumably you candled them earlier and took out any duds?

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 08:14:47 pm »
Thanks for your replies, I thought as much, i'm on the right track.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 01:30:05 pm »
Bit late, but with the Octogons don't you just tip them over slightly? no need to open?

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 08:13:21 pm »
Yes you are right, the shaped ends allow it to be tilted.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS