Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pink eye desperation - help please!  (Read 24959 times)

firther

• Joined Mar 2013
  • holmfirth, west yorkshire
Re: Pink eye desperation - help please!
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 06:44:44 am »
+1 for terramycin spray, it usually does clear them up after a couple of days. a few years ago they used to be a powder you put on but they stopped making it for some reason. was really good though, but someone told me johnsons baby powder did the same trick. never tried that method though

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 10:51:23 am »
If you want the Terramycin to drip rather than be aerosol, try putting a clean spray top on it the one with the extra little bit of pipe on it, marker sprays usually have them. I noticed this by accident, not what I wanted at the time, was just changing spray tops, as the original was really gummed up. But gentler in delicate situations?    Good luck xx
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:34:16 am by Hellybee »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 01:04:43 pm »

Has anyone tried spraying terramycin or sprinkling baby powder into their own eyes just to make sure they are not causing pain to the sheep?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2015, 01:50:24 pm »
Yes as discussed earlier shep53 has had terramycin in his eyes (as have a great many sheep after last year). No doubt treatment will cause stress and pain to the sheep - as will lack of treatment or continued use of ineffective treatment which IMO is by far the greater evil.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 02:14:02 pm by Me »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 02:14:17 pm »
Yes as discussed earlier shep53 has had terramycin in his eyes (as have a great many sheep after last year). No doubt treatment will cause stress and pain to the sheep - as will lack of treatment which IMO is by far the greater evil.

I think we are often over-evaluating the "pain" issue for treating farm animals. To treat a number of human illnesses we have no problems causing pain in order to cure/improve... but with animals we are told you cannot do it...

firther

• Joined Mar 2013
  • holmfirth, west yorkshire
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2015, 06:41:19 am »

Has anyone tried spraying terramycin or sprinkling baby powder into their own eyes just to make sure they are not causing pain to the sheep?

its better than to go blind though, never tried baby powder my self but the original powder they brought out for pink eye were better than the medicines available now

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2015, 06:58:46 am »
Perhaps try Brolene , drops or ointment from the chemist. Cheap and effective.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2015, 11:44:19 am »
Yes as discussed earlier shep53 has had terramycin in his eyes (as have a great many sheep after last year). No doubt treatment will cause stress and pain to the sheep - as will lack of treatment which IMO is by far the greater evil.

I think we are often over-evaluating the "pain" issue for treating farm animals. To treat a number of human illnesses we have no problems causing pain in order to cure/improve... but with animals we are told you cannot do it...

Please don't include me in your 'we' Anke.  I spent my entire career making sure not to cause extra pain to humans who were ill or required surgery, and I do the same for my animals.

A big difference between animals and humans is that for anyone above baby age we can explain just what we are doing, how it will benefit the person, then we get CONSENT to go ahead.

Frankly I'm shocked at the cavalier attitude expressed here by animal keepers, including a vet.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2015, 02:04:30 pm »
I don't think anyone has shown a cavalier attitude at all Fleecewife, quite the opposite if you look through
our previous posts. We have discussed at length the possibility of causing pain and stress through treating vs. failing to treat, the OP has failed to control the problem and has asked for alternative suggestions and not surprisingly a commonly used alternative has been mentioned by a few.

Well, thank you all for your input and challenges on various issues on TAS. I have learnt a few things here and believe I have added something here and there too. A few of my friends have stopped posting and I think it is time I joined them (you can start the party now Fleecewife ;) ).   

Me   

GrannyAching

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Pembrokeshire
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2015, 06:46:45 pm »
Well [member=35918]Me[/member], I was coming on to ask you if there isn't a teramycin spray/drop that doesn't include the purple dye? Sorry if I missed this in previous posts. If you don't reply, I'll ask when I see you.  :) Only interested......

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2015, 07:25:44 pm »
 I find the compassion and animal welfare to be of a very high standard on this forum , and the discussions with contributions from all levels of experience  often thought provoking  ,  after 50+ years of sheep keeping  I hope I can adapt and try new ideas .      Since all farm animals are prey animals they are very very good at hiding pain ,  the people on this forum seem to do the best they can to care for them  .       

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2015, 09:01:36 pm »
Quick (sharp) pain but with faster healing - surely must be better than a drawn-out gathering of the flock on a daily basis, repeated IM injections and repeatedly putting stuff in their eye... well I know which I would do if necessary. And I do care about my flock!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2015, 09:49:26 pm »
Please don't fall out lovelies, Me you stay put lol

Hope you get to bottom of it all OP, and hope you looking after your own peepers too  :hug:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2015, 10:25:19 am »
I have seen this sometimes in the fell sheep when out riding. It only affects a small pocket probably because they are so spread out and generally not gathering together to feed so not passing it on to all. Without a full fell gather and the risk of spreading it further I guess the sheep are left to get over it. They seem to stay in a small area until the symptoms pass and are fine.

I am not commenting on anything said or suggested on here just passing an observation.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2015, 05:04:36 pm »
Lots to think about here, thank you again for all your input.
I've done some more research and spoken to a different vet, so here's an update for whatever it's worth:

Decided to hold off the ABs as a first call treatment to allow an immune response to develop (but I have the Alamycin bottle at the ready will inject if there is severe deterioration and concerns about secondary infections). Topically I'm now trying an antiseptic rather than antibiotic (Leucillin, similar to Vetericyn, indicated for safe use around the eyes ). Continuing the supportive treatment with vitamins and cod liver oil to boost the immune system.

In the field where I had the original outbreak 5 weeks ago the situation seems stabilized now, no more relapses this week, and all eyes seem to be healing. The 3 worst affected ewes still have milky eyes and only partially regained their sight, but they seem back to their normal self not looking miserable or distressed. Just keeping my fingers crossed there will be no relapse. Could be that the improvement is down to just time passing, who knows...
On the other field where it broke out last week I haven't used any ABs - it's still spreading, but seems it's not affecting animals quite as aggressively. Initial recovery is slower, but no relapses so far which must be a good thing. But then I don't know yet how it will go... fingers crossed...

More bits from my research if anyone is interested:
- eye ointment with Terramycin is only available in the US it seems, and ordering it from there would incur a £35 shipping charge (so I'm not).

- I have looked into Vetericyn mentioned by [member=9755]shep53[/member] earlier on as 'worked well but very expensive'
Very expensive it is indeed and it's coming from the US too, but a bit more research brought up a cheaper UK-made product (Leucillin)mthat is based on the same hypochlorous acid technology. It's specifically indicated for safe use around eyes, and I happened to have a bottle of that around anyway, intended for wound treatment.
Can't say the effects are dramatic after two days, although those animals that I treated with it do not seem to be getting worse. With all this handling of horned sheep I ended up with a gash on my lip so I've used this stuff on myself now and can confirm it doesn't sting at all, and tastes rather like tears.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS