Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching  (Read 14019 times)

joyofchicks

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Hatching
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2010, 11:38:26 pm »
James - you win the cute photo of the day award!  ;D

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2010, 11:12:42 am »
This is them just over 2 weeks old, they are so big.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2010, 12:43:43 pm »
they're still very cute... but getting that hint of menace!!
have you named them James?
Little Blue

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2010, 12:59:13 pm »
No names as yet as I have no idea what sex they are. They are very loving and friendly - so far. :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 01:03:45 pm by jameslindsay »

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2010, 08:59:14 am »
The goslings are now spending all day outside in a well secure run and are enjoying this. Last night as it was so nice I let them run around freely as I was with them and I also had the lambs out for a play. All was going well and everyone having fun, the hens and ducks ignored the goslings and my Roman goose looked after them and protected them. I then decided to go and brush the goats so put the goslings in the paddock where most of the hens were and 10 minutes later there was a helluva noise. I don't know if it was the hens or Charlie that attacked one of them but when I managed to get in the poor wee thing was hiding in a corner and terrified. I brought them back inside but noticed blood on my hands. The gosling had been pecked and was bleeding on its back and in a bit of shock. I put on wound powder and left them alone in the quiet and this morning all is well. Why would the hens do this as they have been together many times and never had an issue?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2010, 09:26:27 am »
what a shame! My suspicion is that it might have been the cockerel. It's just that time of the year for them to be aggressive, the poor gosling may just have gotten too close in a playful way and he may have tried "to put it in its place" as they are newish animals around. I don't think a hen would have gone for it, don't they just go for each other? I hope the wound heals quickly and once they are bigger should be able to defend themselves better. How's the broody duck?  :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2010, 09:44:37 am »
She is still sitting patiently, I think they should be due to hatch, if they hatch, next Monday or Tuesday so you may be able to see for yourself on Tuesday when you are here. The Cockerel had been ok with the goslings when I was with them so I really don't know what happened but there was a mega noise and most of the hens were hanging around. One of my other call ducks refused to come off the river the other night which was a worry but there was nothing we could do. I went out at 6am yesterday morning and she was in the river in with 2 mallards! She came home no problems last night though.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2010, 10:18:59 am »
I've heard of domestic ducks flying off with wild mallards. We have some on the pond next door and there is alaways a lot of noise when they fly over. I do check each time if one of mine thinks they might be better company but I hope mine are not such confident flyers  ;D
Looking forward to Tuesday  :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2010, 11:14:23 am »
My Roman Goose is out on the river just now in the  middle of 8 swans, he thinks he's part of them. They always accept him too and he goes off for hours with them.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2010, 11:50:40 am »
Guess they are colour prejudiced not race prejudiced  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2010, 07:31:40 pm »
hope the littl'un is ok now? and not frightened by the stroppy hens....
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS