Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 Dead  (Read 1675 times)

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
2 Dead
« on: November 12, 2015, 07:53:02 pm »
I think we may have a problem with sour crop .We lost a hen 2 weeks ago and today our lovely RIR cockerel died,he was only poorly for a few days. they both seemed to have large crops before they went down hill so quick.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: 2 Dead
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 08:58:33 pm »
I had three out of six hens with sour crop last week. I think it is due to,the warm, humid weather. I rescued them with a bit of starvation and some yoghurt, but they are now having some probiotic as well to get them fitter for the winter. I just wish it would stop,raining and get to a proper temperature for this time of year!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 06:32:02 am »
We've noticed that the damp is affecting the pellet feed so now make sure the feeders are kept nearly empty. This stops it going 'off' before it is eaten. We had one sour crop case a few days ago, but giving her water only and massaging the crop cleared it in 24 hours. Felt like the feed had set in a lump in her crop so nothing could get through, but massaging it with water broke it up eventually.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 02:03:38 pm »
We always take feeders into a dry shed for the night - avoids rats scoffing the lot and also dries out any feed left in the feeder. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS