Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Herdwick Fleeces  (Read 2556 times)

SheepMad95

• Joined Sep 2012
Herdwick Fleeces
« on: November 09, 2015, 10:48:14 am »
Hey all!
I have 5 herdwick fleeces for sale!
2 from the first shear ( brown) and 3 grey/blue ones
ive tried posting on facebook but had no luck on there yet!
thought I might be able to find a spinner/knitter on here who may like it !
I live in north devon if any one is interested
:) can do delivery as well for some petrol money
3rd generation, blonde scattered brained farmer. 1 jack russel x patterdale, 1 collie, 5 chickens, 6 cats, 63 breeding ewes & 5 cows. hopefully some pigs soon!!  working on fathers beef and arable farm. and relief milker!

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: Herdwick Fleeces
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 10:56:16 am »
I sold all my Herdy ones through eBay this year :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 12:24:47 pm »
I've not tried herdwick fleeces myself but I believe they are best for rug making because they are coarse. Maybe thats why you haven't had any interest
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 01:49:50 pm by Bionic »
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 12:52:01 pm »
My late MiL knitted me a Herdwick jumper.  She did it because she was a bit of a martyr, but she told me afterwards that her fingers had bled the whole time she was knitting it  :o.  Now I only wear it when it's extremely cold, and it does its best to chop my head off every time I look to the side  :roflanim:
I certainly wouldn't want to spin it, but it would be lovely for peg looming and would make a wonderful floor rug, very warm to the feet and hard wearing.  The gentle natural colours are lovely, and the sheep are so attractive that it's a huge shame their wool isn't so useful.  If it was soft though then Herdwicks would be useless in their native land.

Maybe you need to adjust your marketing away from spinners towards other crafters.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 01:43:10 pm »
There are a fair few Herdy fleece fans up here in Cumbria - and it isn't all so harsh it makes your fingers bleed, FW!  :D

However, we have no shortage of Herdwick fleece here in Cumbria ;p

It does make magnificent rug wool, or for weaving.  It dyes beautifully, the greys softening the dye and making the most beautiful pastel heathery colours. 

Our local woolly crafters co-operative, the Wool Clip in Caldbeck, made items from Herdwick to compliment Ian Lawson's stunning photographic exhibition of the Lakes and Lakeland sheep and shepherds.  They covered benches, made artworks from needlefelt and handpsun, made handbags and suits.  It made a most inspiring exhibition. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 08:29:36 am »
My late MiL knitted me a Herdwick jumper.  She did it because she was a bit of a martyr, but she told me afterwards that her fingers had bled the whole time she was knitting it  :o.  Now I only wear it when it's extremely cold, and it does its best to chop my head off every time I look to the side  :roflanim:

I did wonder if the lady who bought all mine knew how much of a job she was taking on working her way through 30+ fleeces  :roflanim:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 07:27:38 pm »
Having just spun up blend of Herdwick/Shetland/Zwartbles I do not think I will be doing any plain Herdwick for a long time if ever.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS