Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Porta cabins  (Read 3559 times)

Loraine

• Joined Aug 2015
Porta cabins
« on: November 09, 2015, 09:21:44 am »
Hello
Does anyone know the rules re Porta cabins.
I need one for storage  of tools horse tack etc.
We're in the process of buying land (hopefully).  We intend to submit a 28 day notice for a barn but we need somewhere to store stuff in the mean time.
Are there any restrictions on size etc and will it be classed as a temporary structure?
Thanking you all in anticipation of your help.
L.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
Re: Porta cabins
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 09:39:46 am »
we put a rented shipping container on…. this was for storing tools and somewhere to make a cuppa, had no problems at all..

i will be surprised if you get the 28 day permitted for anything horsey….the 28 day PD is for agriculture only,
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 09:43:58 am by john and helen »

Loraine

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 10:00:23 am »
Thank you that's helpful
L.

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 09:24:49 pm »
we had 2 shipping containers and got 28 day permission to build an agricultural barn, when the barn was built we were asked / told to remove the containers or put them inside the shed as the posh neighbours had complained to the council. if your not on site make sure they are very secure!
Red

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 11:56:04 pm »
Portakabins (trade name) or similar buildings are, by nature, temporary structures, designed to be moved. I've used one as a fridge and freezer storage/office space for several years. We applied for planning, but were told we didn't need it. HOWEVER, some local authorities are more nitpicky than others.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 08:00:09 pm »
Think you will find you have to justify the need for a barn under the 28 day rule.
It is for agricutral uses only, and wont apply to horse related use which will need full planning permission
Mention anything Horse related and its full planning permisson

PS  there are a number of cases where people have made false statements to  bypass the rules which is a criminal offence and if proven ends up with the building having to be taken down

There are a few cases of councils  putting enforcement notices on storage containers that are for horse related sites
when they go to appeal the planning inspector often sides with the council saying its not agricutral and they have to be removed. Some councils are very heavy handed

Becareful and good luck
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:11:21 pm by mart6 »

kris

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 10:23:13 pm »
 interesting post  ive had first hand experience with this  a 28 day notice  do not mention horses  agri use only also you need a minimum number of acreage  off the top of my head its 10 acres   buy a few sheep or  a cow and calf   gets round that  issue   if you have more horses than livestock  it becomes a change of use  issue  if the council picks up on it  keep the building under 5000sq feet
 temerory storage  good and bad bits i have containers and  have been  moaned about it but council  i was told if its a feed store for agri purpose  not much they can do about it
 try keep them  green on color if you can blend them in it helps  i know my insurance will not cover my tools in less in a shipping container  with double locks on it 

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 08:17:29 am »
Believe its 12.5 acres - 5 hecters
Agree re above points keep some other livestock to justify the need .
Do not mention horses.

Have a ongoing enforcement appeal going on at momment its been going on 14 months, and i did quite a lot of research read over 2000 planning and enforcement appeals and horse related stuff nearly always needs planning unless its grazing on agri land.
You even need planning permission to feed horses on agricultral land if the council push it, because horses are not classed as livestock
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:20:23 pm by mart6 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS