Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Get me out of the city!!  (Read 2869 times)

KathrynSW

• Joined Nov 2015
Get me out of the city!!
« on: November 08, 2015, 10:07:25 pm »
Hello there,
Future smallholder here (I hope!). I've dreamt of this since I was little (eagerly applied to agricultural college when I was 14, they kindly wrote back and told me to wait a couple of years).
At the moment I find myself living in Birmingham doing a job I love. It's not a job that will last forever so I'm saving and planning to move away to the country when the time is up . I should add that I grew up in the countryside - not another naive citydweller who thinks living in the country is all about making jam and collecting eggs!
Here to find out and learn as much as I can. 

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: Get me out of the city!!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 03:11:10 pm »
Welcome  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 03:14:49 pm »
It's great that you love the job you're doing and can save up for when the time is right  :thumbsup:.  I did much the same - and it's a big help to have a pot o' dosh behind me and not need to make everything I do now pay.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 03:16:43 pm »
Hi and welcome. I do hope you get your dream. It can be a great life but hard work for little reward. I feel blessed to be able to live like this. We have a few sheep, raise weaners for pork, 5 ponies, 2 cats , 3 dogs and chickens.  :wave:

KathrynSW

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 07:45:59 pm »
Thank you all for your kind comments and welcome.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 07:49:49 pm »

Welcome!  :thumbsup:

not another naive citydweller who thinks living in the country is all about making jam and collecting eggs!

You mean it's not?  Darn!  ;D

BTW, what's an egg?  :innocent:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 08:14:19 pm »
Its a banking group, subsid of citigroup. Obvs..

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 08:40:38 am »

Welcome to TAS  :wave:

It's one of things the chickens hide in the most inaccessible spot on your land so that you have to be a contortionist to retrieve them and have a cast iron stomach to eat them because God knows how old they are by the time you find them ;D
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 09:08:36 am »
Hello and welcome from Devon.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 12:17:06 pm »

Welcome to TAS  :wave:

It's one of things the chickens hide in the most inaccessible spot on your land so that you have to be a contortionist to retrieve them and have a cast iron stomach to eat them because God knows how old they are by the time you find them ;D

Nearly right.  It's one of the things you have to buy or trade from your neighbour, as you can never find the ones your own hens lay  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 12:35:50 pm »
Welcome to the forum! My parents moved out from the big city to farm and I was born into farming and I would never give it up for anything, its in my blood. I hope in the near future that your dreams will come true. Keeping animals id fantastic and very rewarding, not always in the financial sense, but in every other sense of the word. If you have any questions we would all be happy to answer them as best we can. All the best :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 05:12:39 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire so not a million miles from you if you ever want to meet some goats.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS