Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Born on day 25  (Read 1640 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Born on day 25
« on: November 07, 2015, 11:33:02 pm »
I had some eggs in the incubator, 26 chicks hatched as expected on day 21 but I'd had a power cut and so I left the remaining 10 eggs in the incubator as they had all been candled fertile. Anyway on day 25 3 chicks hatched! They all need help to fully get out if the shell. One now appears normal having been slow to get up. One has a wonky stiff leg and the other was born with a swollen head and twisted toes.

I'd never left the eggs so long before and to be honest won't leave beyond 22/23 days ever again but just wondered if anyone else has had chicks born so late!?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Born on day 25
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 06:26:54 am »
We've had them hatch at day 23 Roddycm, but that was due to the poor insulation of a Suro20. They were all healthy though. When we are incubating we have a power failure alarm and a large leasure battery to feed an inverter in such an emergency. In the Dordogne power failures were so common and for so long that at one stage we had to run a generator to keep the hatch going- we did get a refund on our standing charge from EDF though!

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 09:08:36 am »
We had a little Cuckoo Maran hatch at 24/25 days. The rest of the batch were on time. I called her John after my fella who is also always late. Other than being late, she was perfectly fine. She's still called John and is our only hen with a name  :)
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 02:08:36 pm »
well the one born with the swollen head was ok for 24 hours and then died, wonky leg is still wonky and the other one is with all the others 100% fine.

Love that you have a hen named John haha hilarious!

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 02:44:55 pm »
Could they have been in a colder area of the incubator Roddy?

the lower the temperature the slower the hatch

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 03:44:02 pm »
Yes potentially that could be the problem :/ it's the best incubator I could get here but it's nothing like the ones in the uk! It's a wooden box,  very 70's TV style haha

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS