Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping deer out - question  (Read 2272 times)

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
Keeping deer out - question
« on: November 03, 2015, 12:42:00 pm »
I have a 4 acre field that is well fenced with rylock and a tight wire top and bottom. I've been creating a wildlife area within this 4 acres with quite a lot of tree planting. Can anyone confirm if the addition of a single electric wire on upright stand off insulators around the top of my fencing would assist in anyway to stop roe deer coming in?

Obviously this would be a much cheaper alternative to deer fencing the whole place. A few people have said the electric wire is 'sensed' by the deer and puts them off? I'd be grateful for anyone else's findings?

Thanks in advance

Metal Detectorist

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Keeping deer out - question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 12:49:32 pm »
We have rylock with a top electric wire as our standard fencing. We still get deer in our fields sometimes as they just jump it. I think if you want to keep them out you will need deer fence.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 09:17:40 pm »
A deer fence is probably the best option although I have seen roe's clear a deer fence before.
Long term, if the funds, energy and enthusiasm is high you could plant a hedge next to the fence - over time it will grow, good for wildlife and birds, keep stock in and also if high enough keep deer out.

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 06:25:39 pm »
Thank you for the replies... Well it looks like electric fencing for them is a non starter... Deer fencing, as much as I would like it, would be too costly... Looks like home made tree guards will be the only solution.
Metal Detectorist

winkhound

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 03:06:29 pm »
a local estate has added battens to the top of the posts and 3 strands of electric wire. It has worked for 3 years on roe and fallow but not muntjac protecting new plantations.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 11:10:24 pm »
I take my dogs to a supposedly deer proof field. Top is fine - rylock, but would you believe they put chicken wire on the bottom? Presumably to keep out bunnies. The deer just push it in and munch away. That said in 5 years they've only killed three saplings that I can find, in 26 acres.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS