Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where to farrow?  (Read 6427 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Where to farrow?
« on: November 03, 2015, 12:24:03 pm »
I have been mulling over a few ideas of where to farrow next year and cant decide if I should bring the sow into a stable in the lambing shed where I have light, water, electricity, a lambing camera and perhaps most importantly a kettle.

This would be the best place for me but would this be the best place for my sow? The pigs are not used to the lambing shed or to being confined in a space they cant see out of. She wouldnt have any pigs about for reassurance. What do you think are the essentials for a happy farrowing in terms of space, proximity to other pigs, resources etc?

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
Re: Where to farrow?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 12:35:33 pm »
Hey Buffy,

To be honest, I think you can go wherever you like as long as you give her a good bit of time beforehand to suss out her surrounding and get settled in.

After much trial and error my girls get on with it in their own muddy arks in their pens with no rails, lights or really me involved at all. They seem happy with this and actually we only loose the odd one to squishing. Farrowed in mid Jan last year and everyone was toasty warm with mum.

However, I don't have a lovely set up like you do available so I can't compare. If you want to get hands on, or if the sow is inexperienced, then definitely make it as easy and safe for yourself as possible. Arks are very tiny when you're all in there!

I do have a friend who lost a whole litter to an unknown predator, possibly fox? So take Into account where you are and what threats you might encounter.

:pig:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 01:05:08 pm »
I put our sows into their farrowing quarters three weeks before their due date.  We have farrowing rails but in a 3m x 4 m sty with a 5m x 4m run.  Not yet had a piglet laid on.  Can you section off a corner of the shed with heavy duty hurdles, perhaps with boards on the outside to prevent the piglets wandering off?  The hurdles would have to be firmly tied together in several places to prevent the sow lifting them.  Or perhaps sheeted pig or cattle gates?  Is there a permanent water supply available?  Put some of her muck where you want the toilet corner to be before she goes in and she should take the hint.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 01:20:46 pm »
Thanks CPP,

I hadnt thought about predators.... The lambing shed means that I can be around without being intrusive or in the way. She will be a first timer but I dont think thats as big an issue for her as me being a first timer is for me. It's an exciting time for a newbie and I would like to witness some if not all of the piglets being born so that I can learn about what she does without putting her off.

We dont have any proper pig arcs as they cost such a lot of money so we make all our pig accommodation out of second hand sheds that we get for free but the pigs seem to like them and the windows and apex roof make them light and easy to stand up in. Though I'm not sure if they are as cosy as a low roofed arc. They do have sheep fleece on the floor under the straw to make them snuggly and dry.

The alternative farrowing accommodation is the spare pig shed and run but I think that would be better for her once she has had them. I will get her used to the lambing shed as that would defiantly be easier if the vet had to be called out. :thinking:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 01:30:08 pm »
Yes I can section off a corner and put a heat lamp over it to draw the piglets under. I dont know if my galvanised hurdles are strong enough but I have six old, heavy wooden calf feeders that I got from the auction for £1 they could be modified and slotted into battons perhaps drilled into the wall. I have similar system to section off each Lodden stable into 2 lamb bonding pens using wooden hurdles so something stronger could be created for the pigs.

When you bring them in 3 weeks before do you confine them or can they come and go in and out of the farrowing house?

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 03:52:07 pm »
I've also used stables for farrowing pigs - means you can have a sneaky peak over the door  ;D Also do the same as MF and bring in 3 weeks beforehand so they are well settled.

Our stables are straight into a yard though, and I allow them in and out for exercise (and to keep dirty stables to a minimum) until the actual event itself.

Perhaps one of your biggest considerations needs to be water? She will drink a lot and it needs to be a sturdy enough drinker that she won't send her weaners swimming  ;)

Good luck - little piggies bring a smile to everyone's face!  :pig:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 05:12:48 pm »
When you bring them in 3 weeks before do you confine them or can they come and go in and out of the farrowing house?
Mine can go in and out as they please.  I just put a couple of lengths of sleeper across the front of the sty once she's begun farrowing, to stop them wandering outside.  Watch out for her making a nest (straw not too deep or the piglets will get lost in it - a layer trampled down by you into a carpet is good), being restless or uninterested in feed .... or none of the above.  Gilts vary a lot, many are a few days late and some can get very agitated if they get tired or have many piglets - always bear in mind your escape route out of the pen.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 10:42:07 pm »
Water yes, I have water taps and hose in the lambing shed.

And yes she could have a playing out arrangement onto hard standing and grass.

Observing over the stable door sounds like a a good plan.

The lambing shed is looking like the right place.  :excited: [size=78%] [/size]

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 11:46:51 pm »
I would bring her in as others have said - mainly for her, but may also help you. I am a relative newbie and brought 2/3 of the litters I have had into a stable with outdoor space. I only shut mum in once she started farrowing. Being inside in the light meant I could watch and learn, have heat, light and water on hand and not worry about the cold and piglets wandering off (first was a very cold winter farrowing). My third sow farrowed outside during the summer - had a lovely cosy maternity ark and resolutely refused to use it to my horror. Dragged all the straw outside and ended up building a straw bale wall around her and the piglets. It made the first few days pretty anxious for me but they were fine in the ark after that - amazing how warm they are up against mum's belly! Another option for a creep area I found was half of a circular sheep feeder (countrywide sell them) anchored upside down so the piglets can easily fit through the vertical slats but mum can't (nicked that idea from Tudful Tamworths). Or scaffolding poles anchored across a corner.
HTH
Martha 

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 08:24:42 am »
Thanks Martha,

your post has made me think that farrowing her in the pig shed would be better for her, as rather than bringing her in I can just move her friends out. This gives her a familiar place, lots of space, a hard standing penned area and access to the wood or pasture if I open a gate for her.

It would mean that I can bed up the lambing shed just for the lambs and not have to try and slot in two things at once. I sold my sheep ring feeders last year unfortunately but I'm sure I can fashion something along those lines.

I can see her through the window or through the door. I think you are right about the need to observe as a newbie. I can always string an extension lead from a nearby building to run a heat lamp or the lambing camera.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 08:33:45 am »
This is the pig shed that we built this summer. I think might be better for her and the ewes can keep the lambing shed to themselves. It just means that I wont have a tea station!

CharingPorkPantry

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 09:25:15 am »
Looks like a luxury labour ward to me  :thumbsup:

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 11:13:42 am »
That is some pig hotel!!  ;D

I had a gilt farrow 14 in a stable last night  ;)

I use the cages from IBC containers for creeps - pigs can get in and out and the bars make it easy to hang a heat lamp from over the top. Also it gives me something scaleable should I need to get out the way quickly!

Can also then use the plastic tank as a drinker :)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 12:42:15 pm »
Oow good idea Sophie!

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 07:07:39 pm »
Hi Sophie. That's an interesting idea. Could you post a picture of how that works in practice? How do you secure the cage? I've always used the upside-down sheep feeders, but I did have one young sow get her head stuck in between the bars, so now only do it with the big old sows.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS