Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dieting sheep...  (Read 2720 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Dieting sheep...
« on: November 02, 2015, 11:10:36 pm »
Sorting through my little flock, I find my 4 year old wether, due to go for mutton next year, or possibly sooner, is far too fat after a very good summer on grass.

How do you put a sheep on a diet?  I'm assuming the best thing would be to simply shut him away from the main flock (as I will be feeding them shortly) and simply feed him less.  Being more used to fat ponies (and having rejected the idea of a grazing muzzle  :roflanim:), I am liable to think in terms of trickle feeding, but do ruminents really need that? I don't want to stress him, mentally or physically, more than necessary.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Dieting sheep...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 11:13:54 pm »
Why would you want to feed him at all (except grass)? ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 11:50:29 pm »
I wouldn't. But if the rest of the flock are tucking in to yummy grub, I doubt he'll abstain.  I don't have a field with good enough fences to keep him from the rest of the flock (he's a big burly fella) so was thinking shut him in and feed nobbut hay.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 06:09:31 am »
But not on his own....

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 06:37:40 am »
can't he be sold now instead of waiting till next year? I though stock was meant to be fat going into winter.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 08:51:54 am »
I'd be inclineed to send him in now and resign myself to skimming a fair amount of fat off the top of the casserole dish.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 09:41:32 am »
If you have another sheep that also needs to lose weight you can do it by keeping them in during the day and only letting them out onto grass at night.  It will take several weeks.  You could alternate the companion sheep every week so that that one doesn't lose too much condition.  You can't do it if you have to keep him on his own.  I have a similar wether who is far too big too, but I am resigned to keeping him forever as a companion for my ram.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 01:31:52 pm »
I'm tempted to send him now, but TBH, I'm actually rather ashamed at how fat he is!  ::). I also need a bit more freezer room yet....

I like the idea of swapping companions and turning out at night. I certainly wouldn't keep him alone, so I may give that a go and see how we get on.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 01:40:47 pm »
Borrow someone elses freezer/eat a lot of frozen food in the next week - chop chop...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS