Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making a gammon??  (Read 14422 times)

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
Re: Making a gammon??
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 04:35:35 pm »
Wiz looks like we have similar interests.................................... namely Nigella Lawson!!!! not sure about Domestic Goddess, just Goddess.  :o

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 05:31:01 pm »
I know its not recipe page but I copied Nigella's recipe from the recording I made W.P.  Here it is and its a total different to any other I have made its nice.
Coca-cola cooked ham.2kgs gammon - 1 onion peeled and cut in half - a 2ltr;bottle of Coca-cola.For the Glaze you need Cloves-1 heaped Tbl/spn;Black Treacle - 2 T/spn: Mustard powder - 2 of Demera Sugar - Put the Gammon in a pan and cover with the Coke add the onion and bring to the boil Turn to a simmer and cook for 21/4-21/2 hrs If you get the gammon straight out the fridge you will need to simmer an additional 15 mins.Toward the end of the simmer preheat the oven to gas 9 Line a dripping tin with foil and place the gammon in the tin.Now carefully remove the skin and discard With a very sharp knife cut diamond shaped cuts in the fat and then at each point insert a clove.Cover the outside with the black treacle taking care not to knock the cloves out.Mix the sugar with the mustard and pat it all over the treacle.Cook in the hot oven for 10 minutes until the glaze is all bubbly.Remove from the oven and place on the carving board and allow to stand a few minutes.Enjoy
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 07:23:56 pm »
hey chaps- I thought we were discussing hams....of the piggy variety!

I'll look up your docu about pigs in the 60's wizard. I'm sure there are lots of hints and tips to problems that we found the long way round last year that we can try this time round. our pigs had 3'' of back fat- despite being free range and trying not to overfeed!

We kept tamworth crosses last year and have tamworth and mangalitza crosses this year
and the taste of the meat seems such a shame to alter it with brining etc.

we found the coca cola recipe is ok but very sweet.
I do prefer boiling in dry cider then cover in mustard and brown sugar and baking- favourite recipe that we hate to deviate from (always minus the cloves).

cheers

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 08:20:57 pm »
Oh dear WP Looks like we have another one ::) :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 08:23:04 pm »
I do Nigella's coca-cola ham every christmas - if I didn't there would be mutiny!! Looking forward to doing it with our own pigs this year (when they arrive!!)

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 09:19:55 pm »
i would love Nigella at Christmas every year................................................... :o

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 07:49:51 am »
so spitfire have you looked?

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 01:26:48 pm »
Just been to see the butcher as pigs will be ready at end of month, he is doing me a dry cure streaky bacon and also a couple of gammons, plus he thinks about 20lb sausages from the trimmings per pig!!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 08:34:42 am »
Bon appetit   :D

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 06:15:03 pm »
wow wizard- just had time to figure out how to find your article- ever thought about writing a book?
I could see the pig clearly

I'm going to print it off to show the other chaps-

cheers

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 09:23:18 pm »
Thank you spitfire Please do If I knew how to make a pictures I would make a drawing of the treacle poles with the pig hung ready to cut up and all the bits I talked about.If you have not read it look in recipes and "Now you have killed the pig what to do with it :D :farmer: :wave:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 09:35:26 pm »
i always cook my christmas ham in coke - fabby

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 09:52:54 am »
Hi Egglady think i am going to buy a gammon from the butcher and have go this weekend. do you just pour the coke over the gammon and cook as normal? do you just use pure coke (not the white powdery variety) as well?

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 05:04:02 pm »
Nigella's Coca-Cola Ham recipe:

2kg mild cure gammon
2 litres Coca Cola (minus 2 tablespoons) - Full Fat - no diet rubbish please!
1 onion, peeled & cut in half
100g fresh breadcrumbs (made from approx 4-5 pieces of bread)
100g dark muscovado sugar
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons Coca Cola

Put gammon in a pan, skin side down, add onion & pour over the coke.
Bring to the boil, reduce to a good simmer, put the lid on, but not tightly and cook for just under 2 and a half hours.

Meanwhile preheat oven to gas mark 7 / 210C

When the ham has had it's time (Yes - it's now a ham as it's cooked!), take it out of the pan, reserve the liquid (optional) and let it cool for ease of handling.

Remove skin leaving a thin layer of fat. Mix breadcrumbs, sugar and mustard to a thick stiff paste using the 2 tablespoons of coke. Slap the mustardy crust on the ham and put it crust-side up on a roasting tray and cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes. If you have let it cool completely, then cook it for 30-40 mins from room temperature in a gas mark 4 / 180c oven.

If you've reserved the cooking liquid, you can make 'South Beach Black Bean Soup'. Add 500g black beans to the liquid, plus 250ml of water & the juice and zest of a lime. Cook and then puree, add more lime or balsamic vinegar and a handful of fresh chopped coriander.

Enjoy!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS