Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cleaning pasture- let me off the hook please  (Read 5008 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Cleaning pasture- let me off the hook please
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 04:03:25 pm »
Well unlike the turkeys and chickens geese are grazers. It's the route I am going now I no longer have a horse to do it
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 04:09:34 pm »
I am taking the cats in to the surgery for their jabs on Tues. I will have a chat with the vet about my worming program and pasture rotation. My commercial neighbour uses the same pasture for pre lambing folding and post lambing grazing...perhaps there is a way round it.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2015, 05:15:42 pm »
I keep sheep on a variety of grazing systems
1) clean grazing where they go on to pasture that hasn't seen a sheep for at least a year
2) rotational grazing --where they go onto dirty grazing but get moved every 4 to 10 days (depending on grass growth)
3) lambing set stocked and grass that has sheep on for 10 months every year

Parasite wise its a complicated picture, if you lamb sheep on clean pasture you still have the ewes depositing lots of eggs post lambing (peri-parturient rise) and so the challenge to lambs is almost identical to the challenge to those born on dirty grazing after 8/10 weeks. Having said that it is nice to start on a clean system as it does give the lambs a good start and allows them to build up a resistance to worms slowly
On rotational grazing I find that the egg count rises slower than on dirty grazing but once it does start rising it can do so rapidly, this I think is compensated for by better growth in the lambs?

But all the above is very dependant on environmental factors like temperature, moisture, mineral status etc
The rate at which ewes deposit eggs is also very relevant---by breeding for worm resistance we have reduced the egg output of ewes during the peri-parturient rise by 50% in recent years

So my answer to your question is ----don't worry too much about clean grazing. It's great if you can do it but there are other tools in the box to aid in controlling worms 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 02:37:44 pm »
You don't need to buy cattle to graze between sheep; you could offer a month's grazing to a local cattle farmer.  ;)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS