Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feeling soooo nervous  (Read 2257 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
feeling soooo nervous
« on: October 30, 2015, 11:03:45 am »
Ah well today is the big day. I arranged to see someone about 2 frieslands, they sound perfect and are the right price, but I am so nervous..... This could be the start of my little milking flock I just hope they're all he says they are, or it could be a bit of a blow. Has anyone got any tips?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: feeling soooo nervous
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 11:32:04 am »
Don't buy them  JUST  because their the only one's you can find !!    check everything twice !

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 05:58:37 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I've just come back from seeing them, they're everything he said, so I have been thinking long and hard and I'm going to buy them. They're very handle able and  have produced a lot of milk, you can tell by the udders and their lambs, the guy who was selling them said that one of them has been milked before and they seemed good to me, very healthy, nothing wrong whatsoever with them. Feet good, teeth good, condition good, and very easy to handle. Feeling so relieved now, can't wait to bring them home :excited:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 06:14:32 pm »
Nice one WBF  :thumbsup: . Did you take any pics?

BTW, have you ever thought of milking your Lleyns?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 08:19:44 pm »
Yep I did think of that, but I need them to produce and rear their lambs for me, for the next few years, to build up the flock into a really good position, so I couldn't spare any  :(  I never took any pics, I forgot, but I'll try and take some when I bring them home :)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 07:06:31 am »
Good  luck WBF with your Frieslands. I kept them for many years and enjoyed them. The milk makes delicious cheese and yoghurt and the rams were very popular for crossing with commercial ewes to create milky, multiple laming ewes. The meat to bone ratio in the lambs was a bit poor. The best lambing I had from four ewes was quins, two sets of quads and triplets. Also, of course, if you want the milk,  you will have to bottle feed a lot of lambs and will only get the milk for about six months of the year.
Please let us know how things go!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 02:15:50 pm »
I will. Thanks for the tips guys. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS