Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewes probably pregnant? ?  (Read 3471 times)

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
Ewes probably pregnant? ?
« on: October 30, 2015, 07:01:36 pm »
So it turns out that my two gimmers who were in with a small flock were in with a ram since August. I saw him and assumed he was a teaser. Turns out he's not.  Any thoughts on when might be the earliest time they could lamb. Not really sure what strategy they were employing...

My two are a texel/llyen and mule. Just pets.  The rest for the flock are scottish blackfaces as was the tup.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Ewes probably pregnant? ?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 07:14:02 pm »
Oh dear, that's annoying. 

In theory, if they were with a tup in August they could lamb any time from January - it's 147 days, usually calculated as '5 months forward and 4 days back'.

In practise, in Cumbria, Blackies probably wouldn't get busy before October, which would give March lambs.

I don't know where you are and whether the sheep get active earlier thereabouts.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 07:27:15 pm »
Location is scottish Borders.

Wondering whether my two could start cycling before the rest of blackies anyway due to different breed?

Is pretty annoying since the original plan was to move them before tupping but I doubt they'd go through the whole of October without catching?

My only hope is hopefully easier lambing to a blackie tup.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 07:50:18 pm »
Our Mules don't come a-tupping until October - but that could be different if they're running with a tup, of course.

We have had Texel types lamb earlier, the very earliest was 4th Jan!  But that was a one-off, other 'earliest' dates are generally mid-Feb, we had a Jan 31st once.

(BH used to leave a tup with ewes just to see what happened; now we have Charollais genes in the mix, we daren't do this!  :o)

Hasn't whoeever's been looking after them noticed the tup getting busy? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 09:33:52 pm »
Oh dear!  What breed is your tup?  Its a bit backwards but you could leave them with your tup (if he's a small lamb breed) and if he tups them they're not pregnant!!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 09:54:57 pm »
Tup is a blackie. Both sheep have now left the field. So guess it's the old wait and see!   

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 10:47:20 pm »
Well, you could get them scanned in a few months, or you could borrow a teaser to see if they come a-tupping.  Or keep them next door to a tup provided the fences are good!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 10:22:48 am »
If you can't get them scanned you might want to think about feeding and a booster vaccination coming up to the possible lambing time.  If Papa is a Blackie you're unlikely to get lambing problems and the lambs should be up and suckling quickly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS