Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oats and other cereals  (Read 2097 times)

Zeus

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Lockerbie, Dumfriesshire
Oats and other cereals
« on: April 12, 2010, 11:04:04 am »
Hi all,

I would like to grow some oats. Perhaps for a bit of porridge and also as a crop to feed to the stock.

Anyone got any tips on where I can buy some seed? I have ploughed 0.6 acres but this seems far too small for the local seed merchants to supply for and they all seem to have sold out there cereal seeds by now - perhaps I should have bought the seed some time ago!

Zeus

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: Oats and other cereals
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 05:36:52 pm »
sorry for such a late reply , only just read the post .

Whatever you want to sow now would have to be spring sown grain NOT winter sown otherwise it won't seed up , you will just grow long grass/straw !!!  ::)
 So you must make sure you get get spring sown grain , which you normally get from any agricultural supply merchant , where you buy your chicken feed etc etc... if they don't have any left , then you could just by straight animal feed ie ..if you wanted to grow barley just buy a bag of straight ,un rolled barley . You can also buy it like this from loads of local farms who supply anyone that wants it . They would be able to tell you the variety and if it is spring sown , as they grew it on farm . It has been ages since I bought any , but I should think £5-£8 would buy a bag. if you have no luck there , look online at wheat grass supplies ... companies sell wheat , barley etc , to grow for the grass that you cut and juice . They sell in very small amounts 500gms ,1lb approx , but they do sell in larger bags , but it is much dearer from these companies . If I remember correctly it was about £25 for a 20 kilo bag .....
 I would try the feed store first though , and even if they haven't got sowing seed , they will have straight grain , plus they should know , if it isn't written on the bag ? , who grew it . So you can find out what variety it is. 

Hope this is in time for you ...

cheers

Russ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS