Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Consultation on reintroduction of Lynx  (Read 13331 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Consultation on reintroduction of Lynx
« on: October 28, 2015, 09:29:08 am »
I came across a reference to a consultation on the reintroduction of Lynx to the UK. If anyone wants to take a look go to www.lynxuk.org

Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Consultation on reintroduction of Lynx
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 10:00:12 am »
I am just reading George Monbiot's "Feral" - which is interesting but not really offering any solutions/ways forward IMO. He talks about lynx, wolves and bears  :o... but I would say unlikely to be significant in my lifetime...

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 10:04:56 am »
I have let RBST know as they were not on the list of stakeholders being consulted.

My concern is that compensation for livestock losses isn't a great option if you are talking about rare breeds.

My other concern is that, certainly in Aberdeenshire which is one of the proposed locations for release , there are Scottish wild cats. I would far rather concentrate on preserving the wild cats than reintroducing new species that may have an impact upon them.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 11:11:39 am »
For me the whole thing of introducing or re-introducing predators such as Lynx, Wolves and Bears begs the question WHY!?
I'm all for the preservation of those animals in their current habitats or indeed providing alternative remote new habitats for them to ensure their survival, but in the UK? I think such proposals are plain daft, in our small island the potential for conflict is great, our existing wildlife would undoubtedly suffer as would kept livestock and possibly even humans. I could also visualise the fed up farmer taking matters into his own hands and shooting the offenders, plus the interest of those acting outside the law fancying a bit of illegal hunting - we have had quite a few instances of deer being shot and left to rot here in Dorset as it is. There are wild boar that were escapees happily living and breeding in parts of the UK, (Princess Anne lost some of her pedigree pigs to wild boar attacks) Mink escapees have long been established, and now there are Beavers on the river otter chomping their way through bankside trees, personally I think enough is enough, otherwise the whole balance of nature and ecosystems will change to the detriment of true or established 'native' species.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 11:44:46 am »
It's feckin' bonkers. Are where will be first? Bet your boots it will be Scotland.

What's the exit stategy when it all goes wrong? Who's going to hunt the wolves to extinction? Again.

Far better to concentrate of preserving the species that are still hanging on here.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 11:50:57 am »
Don't all jump on me please, but I've seen both lynx and wolves in the wild. Watching the alpha wolf was an unforgettable experience - so, so wild. Just looking into his eyes through binoculars gave me the chills. 

Personally, I would love the chance to see them in the wild in Scotland  :sofa: .

(as long as they agree not to eat any of my sheep of course  :innocent: )
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:52:35 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 01:53:04 pm »
I did some work on a large estate in scotland some years ago where they were trying to introduce Lynx, wolves etc.

Given the current approach to "managing Fox and Badger" in the UK I cant ever see it happening can you?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 04:14:46 pm »
It'd create a good market for Livestock Guardian dogs though ... get yourselves a breeding pair now  ;D

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 04:40:08 pm »
Problem is that if they were introduced idiots would protect them from hunting and then indigenous species would go extinct due to over population of this animal. I say Keep it were it is at the moment, it would be cruel to move it away from its natural habitat.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 04:51:04 pm »
Don't all jump on me please, but I've seen both lynx and wolves in the wild. Watching the alpha wolf was an unforgettable experience - so, so wild. Just looking into his eyes through binoculars gave me the chills. 

Personally, I would love the chance to see them in the wild in Scotland  :sofa: .

Well might you hide behind a bloody sofa  :innocent:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 05:04:29 pm »

Well I wouldn't!!!!!

It's all very well saying three'd be compensation fro stock losses but most smallholders have a close relationship with theri stock - these eejits don't realise that and look on stock as bits of meat not sentient animals.

Keep those damned beasts out of my home country - that is exactly why they are extinct - because we didn't and still don't b$%^&y want them here!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 05:14:58 pm »
Alas, the only "problem animal" on the planet is the human!  Get rid of them and everything would be a lot better ;).

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 05:55:58 pm »
Actually the Highlands have a serious deer problem, and it is not going to be solved without a predator at the top of the food chain. And it is not that humans are going to re-settle in large parts of the Highlands either... so plenty of space.

The wolf has made a significant come-back all of its own on the continent, and so far there haven't been any human fatalities... wolves are now living in Eastern Germany quite near to Berlin actually...

Given that lynx has been extinct for over 1000 years, it is much less likely to come back... as there are not enough trees/forest area anymore in Scotland.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 06:34:33 pm »
Actually the Highlands have a serious deer problem, and it is not going to be solved without a predator at the top of the food chain.

There IS a predator at the top of the food chain. And one that's far more efficient than wolves. There may not be folk in parts of the Highlands (yet) but there is livestock. And wolves travel.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 06:35:10 pm »
You hit the nail on the head with the word predator. Lynx and wolves what will control them. We are over run by badgers since they were put into our area. The damage to ground nesting birds is terrible. I have more chance of losing my chickens to badgers now than a fox. it may sound like a good idea but i think there would be far too many problems.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS