Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Questions about the ex-bats?  (Read 6732 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Questions about the ex-bats?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 06:14:52 pm »
I was told to put mustard powder in so that they'd stop pecking - it backfired, they loved the taste  ::)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 07:24:10 pm »
Yes, it occurred to me too that it might have been pecked.  I just got rid of one of mine that cracked not just her own eggs but all teh others too.  But I had heard another remedy - fill a shell with really hot chilli or mustard, glue it back together and put in the nest.  Never tried it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 09:07:01 pm »
Well its only day one, so I will see how we get on tomorrow. We had a third egg, so one each from the ex-bats, but this one was outside in the run. Will have to go get a fake egg tomorrow.

The 2 Coppers and 2 of the ex-bats put themselves to bed tonight - just one left to work out where it lives. I keep finding myself wandering over to talk to them and watch them - quite fascinating. If I just chat to them whenever I am there, will they start to be more friendly eventually?

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 09:29:09 pm »
The trick is to talk to them (but don't let anyone catch you ::) ) and give them food. Mine follow me round now wherever I go so I have to make sure I have a bread bun or some corn in my pocket.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 10:19:30 pm »
They'll never Be fussy not sure any hen is. I stand to be corrected of course and no doubt will be, but
 my girls follow me about and come running when I come out. They're also quite ok about being picked up now.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 07:22:54 pm »
Our ex-bats (adopted in September) have totally blossomed in their now free range existence  :) We have an automatic door opener and closer (bliss now dawn is truly early! ;) ) and when I go up to check on them around 7.30am they are lined up by the gate ready to be let out. Whenever we sit down around the site they come charging over to see what's what and what can be eaten. The builders we have on site at the mo have learnt the hard way not to let their sandwiches get within pecking range as the girls are not above nicking them off the plate!
At the end of the day I call them back to the run and reward them with some grain, then they put themselves to bed around dusk and the door closer does its wonders.  :D
Tish

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS