Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crows killed my duck!  (Read 3369 times)

jacyjones

• Joined Jun 2008
  • Aberystwyth, Mid Wales
Crows killed my duck!
« on: June 12, 2008, 04:20:21 pm »
I am so furious and upset I have to ask has this happened to anyone else? 2 crows having been hangiong around my run for about a week cos of corn left by the chickens. Today my other young Khaki campbell was really shouting and when I went down its sister was dead in the run - eye out and neck eaten. This could only have been the crows. My husband will now shoot these 2 - he has been reluctant in case they have young but if he doesn't do it then I will!
Has anyone else experienced this? We have had a goshawk attack in the past but never crows. I hate the *****!!

Update to this story - my husband has killed 1 crow and 1 magpie and will tyr again tomorrow breakfast time. I have been to the breeder and bought another campbell - the 2 ducks  are shouting alot and seem pleased with each other. fingers crossed for no more alarms!!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 08:56:48 pm by jacyjones »
Husband, 2 teenage daughters, 1 horse, 2 Springers, 2 White khaki campbells, 5 black rocks, 1 warren and 2 pet rats :)

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
Re: Crows killed my duck!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 10:26:41 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear about your duck.

I would never have thought any bird would be capable of such horror but then it happened to us....crows attacked one of our pregnant ewes three months ago - it was so badly wounded, it had to be put down by the vet.

I too now have a hatred of these birds and would happily torture any to death that I find near any of my animals. They are monsters! Their purpose in life is what?

Pebbles

jacyjones

• Joined Jun 2008
  • Aberystwyth, Mid Wales
Re: Crows killed my duck!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 05:21:41 pm »
Thanks for that. I agree there seems little purpose although an American guy on another forum told me that crows keep the hawks away from his birds - he tolerates them as a result. We have no trouble with hawks around here. My husband seems to have hit the ring leader crows and we have not had any hanging around since he shot at them. The new duck is very well settled in and all is going well so fingers crossed. I hate the way the crows attack sheep - they are so defenceless and innocent somehow. To find that sort of injury to any animal is so upsetting and makes you so angry >:(
Husband, 2 teenage daughters, 1 horse, 2 Springers, 2 White khaki campbells, 5 black rocks, 1 warren and 2 pet rats :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS