Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: spuds and seaweed.  (Read 1905 times)

Glaswegian

• Joined Mar 2010
spuds and seaweed.
« on: April 10, 2010, 07:15:43 pm »
hi all.
seeing as the weather has taken a turn for the better i plan to set a few spuds tomorrow. i have a trailer load of well rotted seaweed for fertiliser.i would welcome any advice on the best way to use the seaweed.e.g.do i dig it in before planting?,lay it over planted spuds? or wait till the spuds have sprouted before using the seaweed?
as you can tell i'm a bit of a novice at this,so a bit of advice would be appreciated.

cheers.johnie.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: spuds and seaweed.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 09:54:14 pm »
Up here they lay the seaweed on the beds in Autumn fresh and dig in when rotted as manure before planting.I personally have never used seaweed even though I do have collection rights, but if I had a trailer of well rotted stuff I would dig in around the veg loosely and would put some loosely mixed in the soil around the potaoes themselves as it is not a fertiliser as such but contains a hormone that promotes growth. One opinion  from an experienced Shetland gardener friend of mine told me that if 'too' much seaweed is used on potatoes it makes them thick skinned and scabby.

Glaswegian

• Joined Mar 2010
Re: spuds and seaweed.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:45:05 am »
hi hermit.
thanks for your info.
i'll give that a try and see what happens  ;)

regards johnie.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS