Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just been offered some abandoned hens & geese. Should I & how to introduce them?  (Read 5101 times)

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
Currently we have our first 7 hens, bought at point of lay a couple of months ago. They're doing well and we're loving having them. They have a nice big secure fenced run.

This afternoon a neighbour came and told us that someone who had a tiny parcel of land (it wasn't lived on, is mostly mud and had a couple of sheds full of chicken and geese guano) had sold it and left, abandoning the animals on it. They've not been fed for a few days now and no-one knows who the land has been sold to.

There were 3 chickens that kept escaping on to the road that we've now recaptured and housed in our garden shed with some food, water and some bedding. They've been eating like it's going out of fashion. Before we introduce them to our flock, what do we need to be aware of? First thought was to get them wormed, dust them with mite powder and potentially get them checked by the vet.

There are also 6 geese in a tiny, very muddy, paddock. We've given them some feed which they went through as though they've not been fed for days. Our neighbour has asked us if we'll take them. We have the room as we have a 4 acre field that is slowly becoming our smallholding. We have some electric poultry fencing to keep them in a section of the field, there's a water trough in one corner to keep them watered. I could throw together a board and pallet lean to house temporarily for them. My concern is keeping them secure at night and what I might need to do to give them a good home. I'm currently pulling the smallholding books off my shelf and reading the pages on geese but thought I'd ask for help here. If we're going to take them, we really need to get them tomorrow before they're any more neglected.

There was also a pony in a paddock that our neighbour, who keeps horses, has put in his barn temporarily before it's taken to animal rescue. The horse looked very neglected and it's so sad to see animals in bad conditions.

So, collective wisdom of the forum, how best do we proceed?

Oh and in case anyone's concerned about the legality of this, when we find out who has bought the land, we plan to tell him what we've done with the animals that were on there. If they want them, we're prepared to return them but I'm not prepared to just leave them uncared for as they are now.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Worth involving the RSPCA?  Not a big fan of them but the legality of the situation all round is a concern.  I personally would take photos of them in situ, then rig up some temporary accommodation, leaving a plastic-wrapped note nailed to the fence of the original "home" explaining what you've done and how to contact you if you're not around.  That's for starters but if you take them onto your property be cautious about their health status.  Even if they look OK now the stress of being underfed plus that of being moved could compromise their immune systems.  They could be carrying mycoplasma or worse.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Quite right to be aware of health issues that may transfer onto your own hens, but I don't think involving your vet is worth it.

Take them, keep them separate from your own hens, and observe.  I doubt if you'll have any legal problems to be honest.  Looks like if they're abandoned the owner won't want them back.
Very lucky birds i#''d say.  Hope the pony is as lucky.

Oh, and steer clear of the RSPCA, they are a bunch of political oriented rogues and will probably take them off you, get publicity in the papers to get donations,  then kill them.  And yes, I'm very cynical!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
We currently have them in our shed, I could fence a section of the main chicken run off, it's just creating housing for them that's separate. The shed isn't good long term, despite having made a perch for them they've gone to sleep perched on the garden shredder and the place will require cleaning tomorrow :/

I've put some apple cider vinegar in their water for now. Not sure what to use as an alternate house for a little while if we keep them separate. Might have enough old timber to make a small house with a perch just for now.

For the geese, I can build a shelter and use electric poultry fence to fence off some of the field for them and then during the week, I can create a proper fence as I've spare posts and fencing in the barn and can get some electric wire to run round it. Won't be as tall as the chicken run but should be ok I think if it's 4' tall and electrified.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
I admire your kindness would have done the same. Most of my animals have been rescued over the years.
Hope all goes well  :thumbsup:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
If need be there are people who rescue animals on preloved. They would take em off you.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
And today, on smallholder scrapheap challenge, you'll be building a fox proof chicken house with only the contents of your barn and no recourse to buying things from the shop, because it's Sunday.

Got up this morning, early. Forgot the clocks had gone back. Went and dug the roll of electric poultry fencing from the barn and created a safe enclosure for the new chickens. Got them out of the shed, gave them a good dusting with red mite powder and let them out to wander their new home. Put out some food and water and left them to it.

Went to fetch the geese and, with the help of our neighbour, herded them into our main field where they seemed happy to wander around the 4 acres of short grass, munching merrily. We put out some feed and water for them too.

Into the barn and the main project of the day, pulling together the various scraps of wood and figuring out how to turn them into a chicken house. Built a simple A-frame, added some perches, a shelf with a tray of straw as a makeshift nesting box and pulled an old sheet of roofing steel out from the scrap pile and cut it down to size. Made a pop hole and screwed it all together. Seems to do the job. Got done just as it got dark and dragged it into the chicken enclosure, popped the chickens onto the perches and left them for the night. We'll see how they get on in the morning.

Going to keep them separate for a few weeks just in case they're carrying anything. Figured it was wise and is ok now that there's a house for them to live in.

As we were finishing putting them to bed, we discovered the geese had done a runner. Wandered around and found them in our next field where there's a large pond, happily swimming around. Either they found a way through a thick hedge or they just hopped over the gate.

Not sure what to do now, as getting them back might be interesting. There's no security from foxes in that field  but a small island in the pond so hope they'll be ok. Been planning to fence off a section of our main field for them with 4' wire fencing and adding a couple of strands of electric fence wire to protect against foxes. If they're going to just keep hopping out to the lake though, they might be on their own. What does anyone else do to keep the geese from disappearing. Do you trim flight feathers the way you can on chickens, and should you?

Right, I think I've earned my beer now.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
Well done it all looks fab. You could build the geese a pen which includes the pond too. I think its brilliant what you have done, a job well done I would say  :thumbsup: keep up the good work
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
My geese have never shown any inclination to wander. They have half of an old ships lifeboat cover to bathe in though I'm sure a child's plastic paddling pool will do just as well.
They are herded into a house at night and are as good as gold (except for terrorising children!!)

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
We can't keep them in the pond field long term as next year it will become part of our new glamping site. Can't really have geese wandering around with visiting families staying in the field.

Currently looking at fencing part of our field and finding a paddling pool to put in there. This morning they looked very happy on the pond but came to the rustle of a bag of corn being shaken for their breakfast. Think it'll take a little while for the them to get used to us and hopefully get them back into the field.

What sort of fence height do people use to keep them in an area?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
I think it would have to be quite high poultry fencing, or you could use high poultry electric fencing wire.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Depends on the breed. Mine are Toulouse and try as they will only get a foot off the ground! I think a four foot fence would keep them confined.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
If can catch the geese their wings can be trimmed the same way as chickens. Do you know if you have youngstock or if these are older birds, what breed and if they are male/female?

My thinking would be that these were intended for Xmas dinner? if they are a good size you may want to think in that direction?

The hens on the perch do seem to have clean bums, so maybe they are not in too bad a state?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
I never trim my ducks wings, it's the only chance they have of getting away from a fox.   4ft won't contain any waterbird if there's a pond nearby.  I doubt if 6 feet would either - you could make it movable and net it over the top
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
Not sure what breed they are, I think they're emdales. They seem a decent size and my guess is that they were being raised for christmas. How do you sex them and find out which are geese and which are ganders?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS