Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My goose has gone broody  (Read 4985 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
My goose has gone broody
« on: April 10, 2010, 05:53:52 pm »
The pair of geese that I rescued a few months ago have now gone broody. She is in their hut sitting on a nest and he is standing outside of it chasing every one away. There were no eggs in their bed this morning so don't know what's going on. I stole 3 of her eggs a few weeks ago and have 3 of them developing in the incubator. All going well they hatch a week tomorrow. I hope she manages to hatch some eggs herself.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
Re: My goose has gone broody
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 07:22:43 pm »
She's out having a drink so I had a quick peep but there are no eggs in the nest!!! She has laid every few days but I took the eggs away - will she be thinking they are still there?

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 08:35:28 pm »
I dont know much about geese myself, but my MIL had some that were kept in the garden here, so for about 3 years I lived with them. I know that the male got very territorial and nasty at nesting season, even though the female was too old to lay eggs anymore. They guarded a certain part of the garden where they had laid in the past.

Evil buggers they were - charged at everything, delivery men would throw parcels at me through their windows or not deliver at all if I didnt come outside, the cat was petrified and the geese even almost murdered the other half when they pecked the shiny nuts and bolts off his car cables ( I am not techie). The only one safe was my daughter as she was learning to walk - she scared them by charging them instead!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 08:57:55 pm »
James, why not sacrifice one of the eggs in the incubator to see what she will do?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 08:59:31 pm »
bung some china or stone eggs under and when yours hatch slip them under her in the dark for her to raise. or use all your eggs  as a goose is better than any incubator providing they dont desert the nest, bung one real egg under her and the rest when they hatch
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 09:01:50 pm by harry »

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 09:03:38 pm »
thats what i was supposed to do tonight with a duck, take them from the incy and put under her , but will now do it monday after candling.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 09:55:30 pm »
James, why not sacrifice one of the eggs in the incubator to see what she will do?

No, I will wait and see what happens. :)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 07:40:04 am »
When I let them out this morning out she came quite the thing and there is no sign of any more eggs or her sitting so perhaps it has been a false alarm. My 2 goose eggs in the incubator are due to hatch a week today - if they do!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 06:15:37 pm »
She is now sitting again, on and off and I saw 2 eggs.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 07:28:29 pm »
Ooh, exciting, James - you had a look after we left then?  We had a super day, James, so thank you for your company and the lovely lunch. My grandchildren were quite entralled wih all your animals and wee Floss is just beautiful.  We stopped at Dobbies for an ice lolly on the way home, then the kids played with my ducks and chickens before going home tired wee bunnies.
Looking forward to coming back up again in May with the other TAS-ers who can make it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 08:42:58 pm »
oooh, good luck to goosey!
Little Blue

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 12:13:47 pm »
She seems to spend a day sitting and then a day off the nest is this normal? This will be her first time as she is just a youngster.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 12:16:19 pm »
Do you keep her and her mate in that run all the time or are they allowed out like the white one?  I'd keep them in till she hatches. I've heard that geese don't sit tight like hens do.  Do you incubate them any differently from hens eggs?  What is the incubation for geese?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 12:18:36 pm »
They get to free range when the white goose is away down the river. However, since she has been broody I have kept them in their enclosure. 30 days is the incubation period. The 2 eggs I have in the i ncubator are due to hatch, all going well, this Sunday.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS