Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Good Times!!!!!!!  (Read 3574 times)

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
Good Times!!!!!!!
« on: April 09, 2010, 09:58:05 am »
well here we are a month in an unfortunatley have now turned into an addict for pig keeping!! (maybe Turkeys next). For anybody thinking of going into this the simple answer is yes!! do it  :).
We have 6 saddleback x GOS all boys and apart from being very boisterous they are wicked good fun and full of character!
i cannot believe how quick they ahve trashed an acre of kand mind you and as in other posts it has been like a bog for the past couple of weeks, but thankfully starting to firm up now. got down yesterday and they were happy chilling out in the sun lapping up the warmth. all that was missing was a cold can of beer and they would of been well sorted, actually i wonder if pigs can have a drink........................
suprising how affectionate they have become as well, once feed time is done they usually form a semi-circle for a good itch and the odd cheek bite on my wellies!!!

All in all our 2 families consisting of 5 children and 2 dogs are all loving it ( yes even the pet dalmation goes in with pigs for a little sniff around and generally comes out caked in mud and trashes my car), we have even got 3 teenage boys well into small-holding now and they are starting to realise that there is a life outside of X-Box & Playstation and in reality fresh air is not as frightening as once thought  ;)

I think what i am trying to say is that keeping these pigs has been a runaway success and we are all loving it, i was glad i did all of my research first and especially thankful to some of the longer established members on this website.

Next is the trip to the abbatoir wihch will be interesting as we have not done anything like this efore, but i suppose as a meat eater it is just part of life and the satisfaction that we will get is knowing these pigs have had a very good traditional piggy life and been thoroughly spoliled (and will taste the better for it) sSo far we have not named the pigs and even my 3 year old is getting to realise that pigs = Bacon, sausages and Pork chops all the yummy things she enjoys.
Build a good relationship with your local butcher as well because they can be a wealth of knowledge and also if you are lucky lilke i am the butcher has invited me in for the day when he cuts up the carcass and will get me making sausages!! cant wait.

Are there any bad points? no, not if you have done your research and go in with your eyes open, although  i may be saying things differently on the  morning of slaughter...................

Bring on the bacon !! :pig: :yum:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Good Times!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:03:25 am »
Only not bad but hard bit is the taking to the abattoir.  Collecting the carcass is a joy.  Will you be doing them a couple at a time?  Enjoy the experience at the butcher.  Ask for some mince, its great in all recipes where beef mince is used.  You may also want to experiment with making some of your own sausages.

If the butcher is doing your sausages for you, it may be a good idea to experiment at home with some cheap supermarket pork in order to find what flavours and what quantities of herbs, salt, pepper etc. suits you.  Then you can take the ready mixed ingredients to add to the pork.  Sort of bespoke sausages.  Enjoy

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:09:35 am »
Fantastic!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of pig keeping.  It is totally addictive.

I started with 3 boys and now have 28 of varying ages. 

It never gets any easier taking them to the abattoir, but when you taste that pork you will really appreciate it.

Enjoy your time at the butchers.  We're just in the process of putting together our own butchery/cutting room.......That part is addictive too! 
 :love: :pig: :love:
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:12:52 am »
I am trying to be as open minded as possible and am sure with the first bite of crackling the abbatoir will be long fogotten.

I though about trying to do that with sausages so may have to start a new post to ask for any tips etc, i am quite a foodie and this is all so exciting for me. my butcher is going to do me a bacon and also gammon (if thats the right description) one of the legs........ please excuse the dribble now forming  :yum: just going to post a sausages thread.

JulieS where are you based? we are in Buckinghamshire

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 01:12:41 pm »
What a triumph! You should be well pleased with yourselves - great that the boys are keen too.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 01:24:22 pm »
I'm in Devon WinslowPorker.....between Bideford and Bude.

When I first started with sausages I made up a 'base' recipe and cooked off a little of the mixture at a time until I had the flavour I was wanting.  Most of my customers have that flavour to start with and then let me know if they want any changes for their next order.

The base recipe is now called Ford Mill Special!...I also make different flavours too, the most popular being apple, chilli, onion or leek. 

You will never go back to shop bought sausages or bacon once you've tasted your own  :)

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 05:08:38 pm »
Hi JulieS, just had a look on your website and seeing as my 3yr old girl and I are coming for a mini Cornwall tour in July, I may well drop in and say hello, shame you havent got a B&B for 1 night coz you would have had a booking enquiry!!

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 08:32:20 am »
You're welcome to pop in anytime.

I've got plenty of room in the house if you need a bed and some breakfast  :)

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 11:40:30 am »
Hi Julie,
Will email or Skype you through your website

cheers
G

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 01:34:43 pm »
Great, look forward to seeing you.   :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS