Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pond advice please  (Read 4204 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Pond advice please
« on: April 08, 2010, 08:57:55 pm »
One of my customers has a dew pond that has muddy water and the biginnings of some blanket weed.  How do I get rid of the blanket weed and how do I clear the water for as little money as possible?  I have put in some pond weed to oxygenate the water.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Pond advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 09:17:00 pm »
spend alot of time netting it out, try winding it around round a stick?
some people swear by barley straw - don't know myself cos we've touch wood never had the problem.
Is it in direct sunlight? 
And if you drain it / top it up don't use tap water... use a water butt
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:58:03 pm »
Don't know what happened there but I replied before Little Blue,and it didn't come up - we had that problem and used pads of straw to fix it.  Worked a treat.  it all got wound round teh straw then we took it out and dried it off so the weed died.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chickenfeed

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 07:11:06 am »
 ;)barley straw if the pond is big by the bale if its smaller then put some in a net.
they sell barley straw blocks in pet shops but its very expensive to buy that way.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 08:41:50 am »
Hello Annie love I asked why this happens it has happened to me several times and since I type so very slow it frustrates me some what I am not moaning but it would be nice to know and if I can do some thing to avoid it happening bar the obvious another little thing across the top in red comes a message something like "while you were away someone posted a reply" some thing like that in red but I can never find it.Do you know how to ?
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 08:54:21 am »
Hello Miri Question What else is in the pond Miri If it has nothing dump a bottle of Domestos in it it works wonderfull.DON'T add any chlorine based product if there is fish in the pond it will kill them As you know I used to maintain swimpools and now is the time customers would call me in to clean their green slimy pool So today I would call reprime the drained system and pour 5 gallons of Chloros or Domestos into the surface skimmer go back in a couple of days and vacuum clean all the debris from the pool bottom and clean out the filters .When I had got it presentable add another dose of Chloros and leave it for a week then go back and do it again.Now its nice a clean with sparkling blue water switch on the auto doser and wait for the nice weather to arrive.
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 08:57:35 am »
That red message has just come on Warning - While you were reading a new reply has been posted.You may wish to review your post An theres nothing in the box?

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 08:46:08 pm »
There's newts and tadpoles in the pond so I'm not keen on the idea of chemicals, but Barley straw sounds good.

sandy

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 10:45:38 pm »
I would love to make a biggber pond, we have just bought a new pump so we can now pump the water out each week and water the surrounding plants, all the chickens and ducks love that and the ducks get clean pond, then I leave the hose to fill it, I now have to attatch the hose to the shower room tap as the garage tap is no good (knackered!) A big pond would be great and any plants other than shrubs and trees, get destroyed by the hens and ducks!!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 07:40:17 am »
Depends on what you want to do Sandy A mucky hole in the ground or a beautiful area of water where the ducks can go and swim when it's established.It is hard work to do a proper one clay lined on a butyl sheet to keep the water in you need not pump the water out of a proper one(nobody empties the one down the field) It keeps full on its own. ??? ;D :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS