Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pinkeye?  (Read 3035 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Pinkeye?
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:37:36 pm »
Does anybody have any experience of Pinkeye in goats?

I suspect that this is what is now ailing Margo, our Sanaan goat who has been poorly... that because she's run down, its developed.
Just one eye has gone all gungy, and started to go opaque.  Touch wood the others aren't affected.
My extensive internet reading suggests that the infection might just run its course, or can be treated... but much of the info is American, so I just hope the vet tomorrow can prescribe something suitable.

I wondered if anyone can reassure me she'll be ok....

:goat: ??? :goat:
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Pinkeye?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:49:02 pm »
Can't help, but just wanted to send love and say i hope it all gets sorted out soon.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 07:13:06 pm »
thanks mate,
 we now have some ointment (antibiotic) from the vet, and they will see her if it doesn't start getting better by Monday (taking the mad dog for her booster monday evening)

She seems alot happier and is eating much better, and at least she has let me clean her eye (which I didn't think she would!)

Hope you're all ok?    x
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 11:21:33 am »
They usually recover ok from eye infections. Sometimes even being outside when it's really windy can give them an eye infection. At least its ointment you got- I remember we once had to inject a goat into her eyelid- that was horrible!

Beth

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 05:31:45 pm »
Today's Margo update...  her eye is looking better, less gungy and can see the pupil again.  It is still opaque (cloudy) though not as 'bulged'.  So the ointment must be working - so glad it wasn't an injection Beth!
Am still sure it is 'pinkeye' (saw some really grim pictures on t'internet, luckily hers never got quite to that stage!)

So heres hoping she'll continue to get better....  with all the attention she's getting and treats of food I'm sure she will.
Little Blue

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 08:01:43 pm »
Glad to hear the eye is getting better.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 09:26:31 pm »
new update... Margo is ALOT happier, the colour of her iris is coming back and her eye isn't so yukky now!
still giving her the ointment til its run out - seeing as alot of it ends up everywhere but her actual eye!

And she is eating better, even though little Geraldine is still bossing her out of the way whenever she can..

Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 10:11:18 pm »
Thats good news about Margo's eye, and also about her eating better.  There is nothing worse than trying to put ointment into an animals eye, or a childs for that matter!!  There again, I am not fond of having anything put in my eye either!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS