Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sore Teats/bad eyes  (Read 5297 times)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Sore Teats/bad eyes
« on: April 07, 2010, 06:24:23 pm »
Another lambing related problem I'm afraid!  One of my ewes who has had greedy twin ram lambs has an extremely sore teat and swollen udder on one side.  The other teat looks as though its becoming sore too, although that side of the udder is not like the other which is very red. There appear to be a couple of smallish lumps around the swollen side but I have not yet managed to get a decent hold of her to feel how bad they are.  Is this mastitis?   At the moment the lambs look well and do not seem hungry although one has runny eyes.  Anyone know what this eye problem could be and how it can be treated (bathe with salt water??)?  Could these two problems be related?  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Incidently anyone who has seen my previous post on the lethargic lamb:  He's fine now - has picked up really well in the last couple of days - thanks for the help.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
Re: Sore Teats/bad eyes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:35:49 pm »
Hi Morri - can you see the pink rim of the eyelid or could it be turned in lashes that are making the eye runny. Can be more of a problem with rams. If milk is easily drawn and has no lumps or blood then my vet advises me this is not mastitis
Can you get some cream for the teats. Maybe even try what they sell at the chemist for ladies with cracked nipples

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:21:21 pm »
Thanks for the reply Shrek. The rims of the lamb's eyes are clearly visible - I read your posts about the turned in lids, so I had a good look and that does not seem to be the problem - could be an infection possibly as both eyes are running.  I will have to get hold of my ewe and test her milk I think.  I have some of the cream you mention - somewhere!!  I'll dig it out and give it a go. 

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 09:41:22 pm »
Glad to hear the lambie is better :)

Do you feed your hay in racks, if so perhaps the lamb has picked up some seed ?

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 09:56:29 pm »
Yes I feed in racks - you could have a point, although unusual if its both eyes.  That said, if it was an infection there would surely be some sticky stuff.  I think I'll give them a wash with salt water tomorrow and see if that gets rid of it.  Cheers!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 10:24:15 pm »
You should be able to get udder cream from country store which will probably be in cattle section.  This is brilliant for mastitis type conditions, rain rash etc and not bad on your own hands if they get chapped. 

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 08:08:19 pm »
I am presently trying some human mummy cream - is the udder cream better?

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 10:42:41 pm »
I don't know if better as haven't tried human version but see how you go and it is another option.  I was warned last year to watch teats especially with twins and first timers as they can get sore but mine thankfully were fine.  My poor ewe that had triplets has managed to feed them all without getting sore so just bad luck I reckon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS