Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bottle lamb returning to the flock?  (Read 14674 times)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Bottle lamb returning to the flock?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 08:43:03 am »
I have 5 orphan lambs that I was given, they are in my nursery field and have never tried to suckle from the ewes with lambs. I have fed them from a nursing bucket since I received them and never had a problem, they are now on grass and creep (still in the nursery field) I have 1 ewe still to lamb so I will put them in the field once she is ready to go back.

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 09:45:26 am »
I have an eight year old ewe  - probably the oldest in our flock and she still runs over to me if I have a bottle in my hand!  We bought Mumsie from someone else when she was 3 and she really probably shouldn't still be here as we tend to send most ewes off at between 6-7 years, but somehow she is!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 09:58:08 pm »
Well my bottle lambs have gone to a place where there is more goats milk than I have spare! Lamlac would have just been too much to buy for the three of them, and my goats milk is needed for the goat kids.

But in a way it was fun having them, and I do miss their shouting for milk whenever they saw me coming near the lambing shed... and my old (12 years) Shetland girl is still to lamb anytime now (but I so hope that I don't need Lamlac for her lamb(s))

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 10:05:41 pm »

Wow a 12 year old shetland I thought that we were setting a bit of a record with our old Prancer who is 10 and has almost no teeth but always has twins.
Anne

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 12:20:08 am »
We have a Molly (orphan) who is one week old tomorrow, she was heard last monday crying for her mum.  the scanner couldnt have picked up on her mum and so there we are with one lamb that has obviously been abandoned by her young dam.  we followed the flock quietly and put Molly G (as she is now called) and stood right back to see if one of them would come forward, but to no avail, she was dry, but very hungry so we gave her colostrum, sprayed her and made the decision to bring  her back to the house.

she is with us in the day as we dont want to leave her in the paddock  as there is no mum to protect her, so she wander about and does the rounds with us.  Shes  drinking well and is a great hit with the dachs, he s really good with her.  Shes been with the ewe lambs and theyre bubs as night so that she is still integrated with them and is often found curled up with some of them.

she ll be with us  at the yard til she can hold her own in the field, is eating creep well and is  big and strong.  She ll probably go in with the others when they are weaned further down the line...then they all in the same boat.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 12:38:59 am »
Our three new additions are doing very well! However you do forget how different to goat kids lambs are. It definitely makes the kids look for their bottles more, as the lambs are so fixated on their bottles.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 09:39:50 pm »
Good to hear they are doing fine!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 01:14:31 am »
They are out in the little paddock all the time now, though we are soft and shut in them in the wooden shed at night still!

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS