Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sudden death  (Read 7266 times)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
sudden death
« on: October 17, 2015, 09:54:14 pm »
One of my castlemilk moorits lambs has died suddenly, she looked fine and healthy one day and dead the next. Where can I get a post mortem done I'm in Fife.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: sudden death
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 12:02:40 am »
Very sorry x,, have you wormed for autumn yet? Was she scouring x

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 01:54:19 am »
Ask your vet.
They can either advise you of your local sac or animal health lab or do a basic one themselves.
So horrible when they show no signs for you to treat.
Most likely sudden deaths could be clostridial disease depending on vaccination status, pasteurellosis or possibly acute fluke.
Most vets should be able to give some idea whether any of these are likely.
Hope you get some answers

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 07:35:32 am »
Sorry to hear this  :( Hope you get an answer and don't have any more sudden deaths  :fc:

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 08:25:10 am »
Hi,
Could have been Braxy, we sometimes get the occasional store lamb dying suddenly, usually the best ones, if we don't get them sold before the first frosts, the lambs we are keeping for breeding or eating get vaccinated with heptavac hopefully before the frosts start.
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 10:22:57 am »
Oh no! Hope you get to the bottom of it
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 10:39:52 am »
A similar scenario happened with us. The five month old Castlemilk Moorit ewe lamb was right as ninepence in the evening and desperately ill the following morning. We immediately took her to the vet who said she was too far gone to be saved and he went into the surgery to get a drug with which to put her down. By the time he got back, all of two minutes, she had died. The vet then did a rudimentary post mortem and found her chest cavity was full of blood. He said the most likely cause was braxy, one of the clostridial diseases. He recommended vaccinating with Heptavac which we have done ever since. But the vet did add that he kept a flock of pedigree Suffolks and did not vaccinate them. All the local commercial farmers round these parts do not vaccinate as the cost outweighs the value of the occasional dead sheep.

Regards, David

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 03:34:09 pm »
Around here it's generally pasteurellosis.  First symptom - sudden death.   Heptavac doesn't work against everything they'll encounter in the field, especially at this time of year when the weather conditions can vary so widely from day to day.

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 12:22:28 pm »
I've come to suspect Polioencephalomalacia (CCN) as the main cause of deaths to my hoggs at this time of year, especially after some research (for example) suggests a connection with bracken.

Assuming I can get a dead beast to a lab that can do a post-mortem in time for the results to be meaningful, what kind of cost are we looking at for a PM?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 04:19:32 pm »
My money would be on pasturella, warm days and cold nights are perfect conditions for it. Lost my very expensive ram to it a few weeks ago, had a pm done. 
He was vaccinated with hep p earlier in the year.
Just bad luck that out of hundreds of sheep it as the very best ram that died. Fighting fit one day, dead by lunchtime the next  >:(

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 05:00:15 pm »
To late to get a meaningful result from post mortem, vet says it's probably clostridial braxy ect. My fault as I thought she was treated with heptivac p but on contacting breeder she was not. Will have to do her sister straight away.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 05:40:19 pm »
There are so many things that can cause sudden death - and unless you are able to take the sheep almost immediately for a post mortem it can be a waste of money.  I had three die suddenly over one winter, I took them all for a post mortem but because two were over 24 hours old and partially scavenged the results were inconclusive, however worms weren't involved.  The only one that I managed to get earlier did have a high worm count although again, it wasn't an absolute cause of death.  So having paid for three PMs I didn't get one totally proven cause  :-\

At over £100 a time for a PM sometimes it's better to count your losses!
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 06:14:47 pm »
When nags get bracken poisoning they have to be jabbed with b12, so yes there's a link with ccn as you'd jab with b vits x

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 07:41:18 pm »
I've come to suspect Polioencephalomalacia (CCN) as the main cause of deaths to my hoggs at this time of year, especially after some research (for example) suggests a connection with bracken.

Just curious do your sheep regularly eat bracken?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 09:59:20 pm »

Just curious do your sheep regularly eat bracken?

There is so much of it about that I suppose it is inevitable that the young animals are going to nibble it out of curiosity. Some definitely do eat more than an occasional nibble. It seems to be attract them most when it is turning brown, although several years ago I had two hoggs that developed a serious taste for dead bracken during the winter. One became completely blind and the other partly so.

This year's dead hogg was nibbling bracken when I saw it last, then on Saturday some walkers found it lying in a burn and unable to stand. I made it comfortable in the shed and got it to drink a little but it died during the night. It was fully vaccinated with Covexin 8 so clostridial disease is unlikely.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS